ESA support group backpay? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA support group backpay?

Options
despair
despair Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I claimed ESA in March 2022, put into assessment group , should have been 13 weeks but not assessed until October 2022 due to ESA delay. They wrongly put me into work related, applied for Mandatory Reconsideration and finally moved into Support Group where I should always have been. I was assured in calls to ESA to not worry as if I was put in support group that I would be backdated to the beginning of my claim. Today I have been told that it would only be backdated to December when they changed the decision. Can I appeal against this?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,701 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It won't be backdated to the start of your claim because as you correctly stated there's a 13 week wait before the extra money is paid. It's then paid from the 14th week after you started your claim.

Therefore they are not correct in telling you that it's from the date of the MR decision. The MR decision changed the original decision which means it should be from week 14. You can challenge that decision by requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR) You should put that in writing.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    It's utterly hopeless that DWP so frequently get such basic stuff wrong and it's to have got worse and worse. The result of lack of training and underinvestment in public services.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @despair and welcome to our community - I understand where your username is coming from, these situations definitely make you despair! 

Do you feel confident in undertaking a mandatory reconsideration (MR)? Here's the government webpage on how to challenge a benefit decision (MR). Please let us know if we can support you in any way with it. 

I've also moved your thread to our Employment and Support Allowance category to help others spot it and reply.

All the best for a speedy resolution to this. Take care and have a nice weekend.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Do you feel confident in undertaking a mandatory reconsideration (MR)? Here's the government webpage on how to challenge a benefit decision (MR). Please let us know if we can support you in any way with it. 
    From what OP has said they've already done one MR in order to get put in the Support Group. Doing an MR to get the correct backdating should be more straightforward.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @calcotti Apologies there, I can only blame tired eyes. Thanks for the clarification!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • calcotti
    Options
    @calcotti Apologies there, I can only blame tired eyes. Thanks for the clarification!
    No need to apologise, You read a lot of posts each day - tired eyes are excusable.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.