DLA and capital — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA and capital

rob18 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have capital that will be under 16K soon. Does DLA get added in as capital  or is it disregarded? Thanks 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes any money you have is counted as capital, this includes money from DLA payments. For every £250 or part there of there's a £1 per week deduction for legacy benefits such as Income Related ESA, JSA, Income Support and housing benefit.

    For Universal Credit for every £250 or part there of over £6,000 there's a £4.35 per week deduction.

    Council tax reduction will depend on your local Authority and some have a maximum savings limit of £6,000 before entitlement to CTR ends.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,011 Disability Gamechanger
    If you have DLA left over at the end of each four weekly payment it becomes capital.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • rob18
    rob18 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    That’s great, thanks for help 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    I would just like to add a warm welcome @rob18. It is great to see you have joined us.

    Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.