Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Need your kind suggestion

hafkhan Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello everyone, 
I hope everyone is finding their way through life. 
My husband has chronic kidney disease and multiple other health conditions. We have a daughter (age 3) and a son (age 1). 
We are on universal credit and last month my husband got PIP. I have my family's responsibilities and I have been looking for work that suits my family's needs and is flexible. (Teacher by profession). 
Now I got an offer of freelancing translation and interpreting, for which I'll have to register myself as self-employed. Also, got another offer as a mid-day assistant at a school. (only 1 hour/day).

I have no idea how self-employment and part-time employment will affect Universal credit. 
I have left them a note in the journal asking about guidance but they weren't much help. 

Could someone please advise me on this matter?

Apologize for the rather lengthy text and thank you in advance. 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,990 Disability Gamechanger
    Does your husbands PIP include the daily living part? If so and you look after him for at least 35 hours per week then you need to report a change of circumstances, click caring and tell them you care for him. Your UC will then include the carers element of £168.81/month.

    As a carer you will not be expected to look for work or attend any appointments in the future.

    Has he also reported his health condition and been through the work capability assessment? If not then he needs to do this and make sure he sends a fit note within 7 days and continue to send them without any gaps until a decision is made on the WCA.

    As a self employed person you will need to report the changes as a change of circumstances and tell them you're self employed. You will then need to report your earnings and expences on your journal on the last day of each assessment period.

    As you have the work allowance you will be able to earn a certain amount of money each month before the 55% deductions apply. If you claim for help with the rent your work allowance will be £344/month, if you don't it will be £573/month.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    I would just like to add a warm welcome @hafkhan. It is great to see you have joined us.

    Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.