If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Woman puts cat down jumper to keep warm

Options
Alex_Alumni
Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger

Cost of living: Woman puts cat down jumper to keep warm – BBC News Online

A disabled woman called Sharon Hearn who cannot afford to heat her home for more than two hours a day said she puts her cat down her jumper to keep warm. 

Hearn has been told she can no longer claim the Warm Home Discount despite the cold limiting her mobility. This is because of government changes to the eligibility criteria. 

Scope estimates about 300,000 disabled people in Wales and England will not be eligible because of the changes.

If you have pets, do they help keep you warm?

Or are you worried about the cost of looking after them during this cost of living crisis?
Online Community Coordinator
Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There does seem to be a lot of people that don't qualify this year, myself included and i received the WHD for many years. Although there are many people that don't qualify there will be many people that do qualify and didn't in previous years.

I have a cat and he does keep me warm when he leans on my feet in the evening. As for putting him down my jumper, that wouldn't be possible because he's far too big! He's like a small lion haha, no joke.

Thankfully, i have no problems being able to afford to feed him, even if i couldn't i would do without myself to feed him. He's an indoor cat so i buy cat litter and usually by catsan because it's the best and it does hide the smell, which is a very good thing. I did notice this week when i went to buy some in B&M that the price has shot up from £6.19 for 10 litres to £7.69 :o i couldn't quite believe it when i seen it. Thankfully i managed to find some on offer in the range so bought that. Although the price has increased i wouldn't consider changing to a cheaper brand because the thought of cat wee lingering in my house is enough to make me shudder. I've tried other brands in the past but they just don't work for me.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your cat sounds lovely Poppy :)

I know to some people a pet might be a massive luxury, but I think for those who can afford one, they can be a real part of the family and do wonders for improving mental health. To others then, pets are surely a necessity!

I do worry about the impact of the changes to the Warm Home Discount this year, it certainly feels like it will continue to effect disabled people long after the winter passes. 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    What an... interesting post @Alex_Scope. Thanks for sharing it with us. 

What a shame that she can no longer claim the Warm Home Discount because of government changes to the eligibility criteria.

Obviously, her needs remain the same - along with the 300,000 disabled people in Wales and England.

I do have pets! However my pets are fish so no they don't help keep me warm - they are too busy swimming around their heated tank  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    He really is @Alex_Scope and is definitely a huge part of our family. Cats are meant to be very good for Austistic people and he certainly helps my daughter and makes her very happy. Infact any cat makes her happy.

The cost of energy is a worry for everyone, not just disabled people but it's an extra worry for those that always received the WHD to not be entitled to is this year. Even more so if you didn't know the changes and were expecting that £150.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.