Pip approved — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip approved

fatmouse Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Afternoon everyone 
I have been awarded pip daily living at the standard rate. A number of people have said because I live alone,  have no carer and I do not claim any other benefits that I  should also claim a disability premium. My employers have made a number of adjustments so I am able to continue to work full time. I live in a property which I currently pay a mortgage. Would anyone be in a similar position and perhaps know if this is correct or not? Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,618 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 31
    The disability premiums including the severe disability premium (SDP) which sounds like you’re taking about, can’t be claimed on their own. They are only payable if you’re claiming the old legacy benefits such as Income Related ESA/JSA or Income Support. They are not benefits that you can claim separately. 

    You can look at entitlement to Universal Credit but disability premiums aren’t payable with this. As UC is means tested whether you’re entitled will depend on your circumstances. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you’re excluded from claiming. If you live with a partner you claim as a couple. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.