Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

What benefits is my 18 year old entitled to?

ab78 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
What happens when a 18yr old is still in education provided and paid for by his ehcp and the local authority but has an apprenticeship aswell but due to mh is only doing part time hours 
what benefits can he be entitled to can he stay get pip and due to the education part can I still claim child benefit or do I need to tell them and the uc of the situation? Someone said he can claim ESA but I know nothing about this or what I should do whom I should inform 
as child benefit states if in education it’s paid till 19 
pip state he should be still entitled to enhanced pip as I still have to literally do everything for him his not coping at managing full time and still can’t cope independently at travel etc 
so I’m completely lost in what I need to do and obviously don’t want to be claiming anything I shouldn’t nor equally be not claiming anything he’s entitled to it’s a mine field as obviously not your average situation 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,191 Disability Gamechanger
    It will depend whether he's being paid for the apprenticeship by his employer or not. If it's paid then child benefit and child tax credits/child element of Universal Credit will end. Those benefits can continue until the day before his 20th birthday if he remains in full time non advanced education. For child element of UC then will end in the September after his 19th birthday.

    He won't ever be able to claim the old Income Related ESA because this no longer exists. It would need to be Universal Credit he claims but if in full time education and living at home then he won't be entitled to claim this.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Hey @ab78. Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us.

    I just wanted to respond to your post with a focus on the EHCP aspect of your post. An EHCP applies to people up to 25 years of age!

    Is this 18-year-old accessing a supported apprenticeship? Also, how are they finding the apprenticeship?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.