Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Pip change of circumstances

Options
cr0623
cr0623 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi i get pip daily living standard, when i applied it was awarded at that however since then my mobility has dramatically changed im waiting for spinal surgery ive been in hospital for 13 days due to my spine and pain management , I physically can no longer drive as i can’t change the gears with my leg, plus all the medication they have me on im not safe on the roads. I now cannot get up or down my stairs to my first floor flat, occupational therapy came to assess and said i need a stairlift and a wet room as i cannot get myself in my bath or shower as its over the bath. They have said my property is not adaptable i meed to be urgently rehoused. My mentsl health id spiraling im so suicidal due to not being able to the most simpIest of tasks. I cannot walk without my crutches then its having to stop from my living room to bedroom, cant dress or wash myself etc i have a perching stool, bed rail and a raised toilet seat that occupational therapy supplied.
when i first applied i wasn’t working then i found a lovely part time job in my local shop working with a friend i wouldn’t have coped with being  alone with my anxiety and would never have had the confidence to go for job interviews but this was a friend ina local shop who knows exactly how i am and supported me while working with her. ive now had to go on sickleave as i physically for one cannot get down my stairs to get to get to work plus i am falling numerous times a day so im having a lifeline installed. 
Sorry i know this is really babbling and probably not making sense. 
My question is do i need to let PIP know just how bad its gone and how long i was in hospital and try to get mobility but do they re assess everything im worried they would end up taking what i already have off me, if its a change of circumstance is the assessment the same as the first one do they just class it as a new claim? 
My housing officer is trying to find me suitable accommodation that can be adapted as my stairs are too steep and too narrow for OT to fit one. I could still be waiting years to be rehoused. I feel like a trapped cage animal at the moment. I am so sorry i know none if this will make sense to anyone but thought maybe it was worth a try and i really appreciate anyone reading my medicated babble

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    For a change to be relevant for PIP you need to have had the difficulty for three months and to expect it to continue for another three months. Even then, a.change is only relevant if the change is likely to result in a change in the PIP point score such that a different level of benefit might be payable.

If you do report a change you will have to complete a new form and will likely have a new assessment. The whole award will be reviewed.

As regards stays in hospital these are relevant if you stay in hospital for 28 days. PIP stops after 28 days. If you have multiple stays the stays have to be added together unless the gaps between them exceed 28 days. Days of admission and discharge do not count as days in hospital.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,164 Scope online community team
    Options
    Good morning @cr0623. I've sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk please look out for it. 

Community Manager
    Scope
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.