Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Disabled Persons Railcard

Options
ilovechickpeas
ilovechickpeas Community member Posts: 42 Connected
Hi everyone,  hope you’re all having a great weekend!  

Just a quick question regarding the  disabled persons railcard. 

On my pip award letter I’ve been awarded 10 points  for standard mobility : however it states  (You cannot undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress.)  

now this where I’m confused about the  eligibility for the railcard,

does that mean I can’t use public transport like trains at all? 

I rarely use public transport anyway  for the fear of getting lost so I avoid it as much as possible , however, if it’s a simple journey a familiar place/route I’ve been before I’m ok with. But again that’s on very rare occasions I use public transportation it’s not regularly. 

My mental health disorder fluctuates, I have very ok days and very terrible days where I avoid the world and stay in my bedroom.

Please can  someone help advise. 

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,133 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @haffyali - I would suggest that, as with PIP the criteria are how you are the majority of the time, that you contemplating very occasional use of public transport in no way would this invalidate your claim.
  • ilovechickpeas
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @poppy123456 @Tony_Scope @Scope_12345 @Alex_Scope  are you able to advise me in depth please ?
  • ilovechickpeas
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,280 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I would prefer it if you didn’t tag me please because all my notifications are turned off. If I miss a tag I don’t want anyone thinking I’m being rude by not replying. If I see a question that I can help with I will answer.

I seen your thread earlier but didn’t reply because I seen that chiarieds has already given you excellent advice. I don’t know what other advice you would like other than what’s already been advised. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ilovechickpeas
    Options
    @poppy123456 sorry I do apologise, next time I will bare that in mind. 

I’ve noticed in the forum you give very in depth advice hence why I tagged you.  

• anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    Options
    You could also apply for the railcard (there is a charge for it) and have someone accompany you on the journey.

My son cannot use a train by himself but he has a card as it still saved money last summer when i took him to London by train.

I think my son has the enhanced mobility but he can undertake one bus journey by himself. It is a practised route and pip knew he went on the bus alone when we applied for pip.

Yet he was still awarded enhanced as he cannot do unfamiliar routes by himself.

So i think it is fine to have a railcard and to travel yourself when you feel able, or to take someone with you as you need.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @haffyali

We had another community member ask a similar question and I was able to find this information through many teams across Scope:
    The Disabled Persons Railcard has particular eligibility criteria which includes conditions like epilepsy or a hearing/visual impairment as receipt of certain benefits. 

The Rail Delivery Group (RDG) therefore request proof of this, either through providing a benefit entitlement letter or other kinds of evidence like a certificate of visual impairment to process people’s applications. The list of proof they require can be found on their website.

However, we’ve heard both anecdotally and from groups like the MS society that people with conditions like Multiple Sclerosis can get the disabled persons railcard by providing their diagnosis as proof, and they do not need to be receiving any benefits.  

The disabled persons railcard website does not currently list this.  

The most recent update to the disabled persons railcard website has been to state that under the Equality Act, individuals with ‘progressive conditions’ are eligible, if they meet at least one of the criteria listed. This includes e.g., being in receipt of PIP or other benefits.  

The website still does not state that there are conditions that make you automatically eligible, just on the basis of a condition, regardless of whether you’re in receipt of benefits. 

We would suggest that you contact the Rail Delivery Group and discuss with them the challenges you face travelling by train. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • kairetalic
    kairetalic Community member, Scope Member Posts: 6 Listener
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Hi their have you tried  ringing the national rail information to see what they advice 

Kai Retalic 
    Online enquiry advisor scope 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.