Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Ill health retirement application

Options
2»

Comments

• dennisim
    dennisim Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Options
    So after almost 2 years I have exhausted the 2 appeals stages in my ill health retirement application. Since the independent medical professionals assessment I have since been diagnosed Additionally with functional neurological disorder coupled with my fibromyalgia. On to appealing via the pension ombudsman. Would it be possible or advisable to get legal advice at this point? If anyone is still interested in this thread.
  • katwater51
    katwater51 Scope Member Posts: 41 Connected
    Options
    Hi @dennisim well done for finding out that the Pensions Ombudsman is the right place to take your next steps. Not everyone could manage that. I just want to say you seem to be very resilient in keeping going, it’s really hard when you’re facing so much negativity. I hope its not impacting your conditions too much, only you can judge whether its worth the strain and you can keep going. 

I am guessing - and this is really just a guess here - that if the Ombudsman doesn’t work you could look into sueing the pension provider. But this would need legal representation and that costs a LOT of money. However - and this is a long shot - if you have a Home Contents insurance policy, many of them have “LEI” cover included. That’s Legal Expenses Insurance. They might provide some cover for legal action. A long shot I know, but just suggesting in case. 
  • dennisim
    Options
    Thank you katwater. If I fail with the ombudsman then that is the end of the road. I am adamant that the pension provider has acted in bad faith throughout this process and I wouldn't forgive myself for not standing up for myself. Hopefully I get a fair assessment of my case with the ombudsman. I'm not sure if I have 3 years in which I can appeal from the original decision to decline my claim or 3 years from the stage 2 decision. So I'm going to leave it a couple of months and I. The meantime seek advice on an appeal approach via the ombudsman.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,782 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @dennisim and welcome back to the community, I'm sorry to hear it's not with better news. But I hope the Ombudsman can sort this for you.  Did you manage to get advice from ACAS?
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • dennisim
    Options
    Hi albus. I spoke to ACAS before my stage 2 appeal but they didn't give me much help to be honest. They couldn't advise me on how to proceed only explain what the process was.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.