Just had a text from GP surgery regarding changes in medication. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just had a text from GP surgery regarding changes in medication.

Options
Luna51
Luna51 Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with medication (dosage) changes?
My daughter takes a specific drug containing 25mg, she also has Autism and a Learning Disability.
I've just had a text saying her prescription has changed and they will now be receiving 50mg tablets and we will have to (precisely) cut them in half!
I do understand that this is probably due to a supply issue but there is no explanation of this.
I don't think it's acceptable as I'm trying to teach her how to manage her own medication, but would be interested to know what other people think or if they've had similar issues?
(Or, am I being a bit precious? 😬) 

Comments

• Luna51
    Options
    In hindsight, my issue is more that there was no explanation why, just that they are simply  changing the prescription to 50mg tablets rather than 25mg.

Thanks for reading 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My daughter takes sertraline and when she first started it a few years ago her dosage was 25mg/day and they always gave her 50mg tablets and we were advised to cut them in half. The reason for this was because the 50mg ones weren't available at the time. Maybe this is the reason why but i'd advise you to ring your GP to ask why they are giving 50mg instead.

She now takes 100mg so there's been no issues with availability.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Luna51
    Options
    Hello @poppy123456
    Thanks for your reply 😊

Yes, this is the drug she takes too. She also wants to stop taking it so this could be a great excuse to say no to this change - Fingers crossed not! 

And yes, I'm sure it's a supply issue but frustrating for it not to be explained why, just told to cut it in half.
    I have emailed the surgery and explained that for people with a LD, their carer should really have a phone call or email explaining the issues, rather than a generic text - some people might be confused by it.

I hope you don't mind my asking, did the increase help your daughter? as I know 25mg is a small dose and they will probably increase it at some point. 
    (We were actually invited to do a new study regarding Sertraline for Autistic patients, one group would be given it and the other, a placebo, but unfortunately my daughter was already taking it. I have asked for the study outcomes though as I am very intrigued to see they compare) 

Have a good day - hope the sun is shining where you are.. ☀️ ☺️

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Luna51

That is so frustrating! Especially as you said you are trying to teach your daughter how to manage her own medication. Do you think the pharmacy may be able to provide an insight when you collect the prescription? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Luna51
    Options
    Hi @Hannah_Scope

Good idea, I will definitely ask, I am lucky in that I have a really good relationship with our local pharmacist (we live in a village with a small surgery, so we all know each other) no doubt they will tell me what is happening with supplies.

It is frustrating but I am grateful that we still have the drug in some form.

Have a nice day.. 😊
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Aww that's nice :) 

Yeah it's especially going to be hard for those who find tablets difficult to cut. Hopefully the pharmacist can help with that? Have a lovely day :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're welcome. I thought it may have been the same medication. Please don't just stop giving her it without first speaking to her GP but i'm sure you already know this.

Yes, the increase helped her a huge amount. I'm sure she's been taking it since about 2018, which was 25mg. At the start of the pandemic her anxiety got so much worse and when we were out quite a few times she had some scary moments while in shops. I know the pandemic didn't help her anxiety at the time. They increased it to 50mg and then again to 100mg.

Like your daughter mine also have ASD and a learning disability as well as social anxiety.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Luna51
    Options
    Of course, my girl will probably refuse to take them, but she will always come around after the offer of a treat! - usually it's a starbucks frappucino..
    Thank you for your advice though.. 😊

And yes, social anxiety has been a huge issue for my daughter too, she gave up college last year because of it, when her anxiety increases so do her tics, so people stare, which again, doesn't help with her anxiety.
    We are now waiting for a GP referral to access some mental health support through a charity called Rethink. (I havd high hopes for this as another parent recommended them to me) 

I'm pleased the increased medication helped your daughter.
    It's the hardest part of being a parent as they grow older isn't it, not being able to take away their anxieties.
    I sometimes yearn for the days when a big hug and sticking plaster literally worked miracles! (well sort of! 🙃) 

• Luna51
    Options
    A little update. 

I had a chat with my pharmacist on Friday regarding the medication changes. 
    She told me the change is down to cost and there's not a shortage.
    I explained the difficulties and out of curiosity she took a tablet out to cut in half, she agreed (as it crumbled a bit) that this could be a bit tricky, for not only my daughter, but for some others too. 
    So, she will happily keep them at 25mg, if my daughter struggles with this.. I just have to let her know...
    She's always so lovely, and we are lucky to have a village pharmacy !
    ❤️

• Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    That's great news @Luna51

It's always great to hear when people have such supportive and lovely pharmacists :) I use an independent pharmacist and its so much better than a chain store one. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.