LCWRA / PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA / PIP

Options
steve219hull
steve219hull Community member Posts: 18 Connected
I have had assessment from universal credit and was awarded LCWRA .because of my emphysema .
I dont get anymore payment or back pay due to my wife already getting the same award .
My neighbour suggested i put in for pip but wondered if it would effect what we already get as a couple .

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,701 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You were informed correctly that because your wife already receives the LCWRA element on your UC you won't receive it because you can only receive one per claim.

PIP isn't means tested so has nothing to do with UC or LCWRA element so it won't affect your UC in a bad way. Does your wife claim either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care? If so then you can claim carers element of UC if you look after her for at least 35 hours per week. This will increase your maximum UC entitlement by £168.81/month.

If she doesn't and you claim PIP yourself, if successfully awarded daily living part then your wife can claim carers element, while you receive the LCWRA element, this way you be receiving your maximum UC entitlement.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • steve219hull
    Options
    No she doesnt claim pip or carers allowance its all new to us has we both have always work.
    So what do you suggest we both do plz ..
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If you think you qualify for PIP then you can both start a claim. As i advised, it won't affect your UC in a bad way. I can't tell you whether you would qualify because i don't know how your conditions affect you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • steve219hull
    Options
    Ok thx .wife had put in for pip last yr and was refused .im at stage 3 emphysema so i think i will put in for pip while she can then put in for carers .
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Did your wife challenge that PIP decision? If not was there any reason why? PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you against the 12 PIP activities. Please have a read of the links i posted because it does help to have some understanding before you apply.

If you're eventually awarded daily living then your wife will not need to claim carers allowance to be entitled to carers element of UC. If she did claim carers allowance then it would just be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
  • steve219hull
    Options
    Thankyou for advice .
    One more thing i was wondering .after having my assessment  for LCWCA would i need another assessment for pip with dwp already having all my information .also would my doctor be sent more forms or go on what they know
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Yes you will likely need another assessment for PIP because most people have them. PIP and LCWRA are different benefits with different criteria.

They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence so please don't expect them to do this. It's your responsibility to send evidence to support your claim.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.