Advice please — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice please

Options
and15
and15 Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
Hello

I'm after some advice please from other parents if possible please.we hsve just found out that my father in law has a life limiting condition.my 6 Yr old daughter whom has asd is close to him doesn't know.we would be grateful for any advice on how to broach the subject of death and dying with her for when the time comes.
Thank you in advance. 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @and15 and thanks for reaching out, I'm sorry no one has been able to get back to you before now. 

I think I'd encourage you to talk to somewhere like Cruse Bereavement Support, as they may be able to advise on the subject of death and dying. They also have a section on supporting children and young people, which I hope is helpful.

It must be an upsetting time for all of you, but it sounds like you're all very close, and ready to support each other as best you can. If we can help support you further, please ask :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • and15
    Options
    Thank you Alex ill give it a try
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm so sorry for what you are going through @and15 I want to send all my hopes you get to make so many more memories until that time <3

I also wanted to comment to say that the National Autistic Society has an excellent guide for parents and the Autistic Girls Network have quite an extensive list of resources too. I hope they help you all. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hello @and15. Thank you for reaching out to us. I can really hear how difficult things are for you and your family at the moment.

As an autistic person, I will try to provide some words of wisdom as if I had to provide advice about how to talk about life-limiting conditions/death and dying.

I would say to be courageous and confident in talking about it rather than hiding it. Give preparation of what the life-limiting condition means for your father-in-law.

You know your daughter best though and her level of understanding. I would encourage you to target it to your daughter's level of understanding.

For example, sometimes social stories help if your daughter has more difficulties understanding language (written/spoken) than pictures. 

Also, reassure her that her feelings are ok no matter what they are. Some autistic people feel it strongly and others do not process it as quickly as you might anticipate.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you would like to talk about this further or if there's anything else we can do that might support you and your family through this  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • and15
    Options
    HI L_Volunteer

Thank you so much I have used social stories before but never really thought about doing it re death and dying and its a good idea as she responds well to them.
    Thank you so much 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @and15. I recognise it is not always easy to automatically think about applying strategies to new situations, even if they have previously been helpful.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you. Most importantly, I want you to know you don't have to face this alone  <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello again @and15 I hope you're all keeping well, how are things at the moment?

One of my colleagues within Scope, @Ema_Scope, is doing some research into how we can better support people looking to broach the subject of death and dying with a disabled relative.

If you're comfortable to, she'd be happy for you to email her on ema.thornhill@scope.org.uk to chat more about your experience :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.