Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Struggle with budgeting your Disability/LCWRA/UC/ESA

Phillfroggy Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
Hi to the scope community.
Myself like many others have found it difficult to budget my monthly UC/LCWRA. I find after putting between £150 - £200 on my utilities and the main shopping I'm not left with much and I struggle to buy fresh milk ..bread and other items as I'm out of money. You can contact the DWP/UC and request your payments every 2 weeks. All you have to do is fill out a form with incoming and outgoings and they make a decision within a few days. I've been accepted as I'm classed as valuable and struggling with monthly payments. I hope this bot of information helps. 


  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes this is not uncommon people with addiction problems can also request 2 payments a month.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    JBS2022 said:
    Yes this is not uncommon people with addiction problems can also request 2 payments a month.
    4 payments a month in exceptional circumstances too.
  • Starlingbird
    Starlingbird Community member Posts: 169 Pioneering
    That is a very useful nugget of information @Phillfroggy.

    If you are struggling to afford things such as fresh milk and bread, it might be worth considering using a community food pantry (I mentioned this in a different thread recently). I don't think many people are aware of these.

    They all work slightly differently, with some having a yearly membership of around £5. They often have free bread and milk, plus very inexpensive veggies, fruit and tinned/frozen/etc. Some work on a donation basis (so you just fill a couple of bags up and pay what you can, often with a suggested amount of a couple of quid). Most get surplus food from supermarkets (Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Waitrose, etc) and catering suppliers. 

    Food pantries are not the same as food banks. You do not need a referral, don't need to be on benefits and don't need to prove your financial situation. They help save on food waste, so are not only helpful if you need to stretch your money further, but also help with the tragedy of so much food going to waste. 

    I hope this helps someone.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for letting us know this @Phillfroggy. I'm sure this will help more people who are budgeting. 

    We also have a page on accessing free food and food banks, which you might find helpful to read. This includes some information on getting free or cheap food without a referral, as well as a with a referral. 

    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.