Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Cost of living

Options
stuartperry
stuartperry Community member Posts: 36 Connected
hi guys! okay so I'm asking for my parents who are both on contribution-based ESA.  

I was looking over their bills and costs for food, energy, car etc.  

they have more outgoings than incoming income.  

this is ridiculous I don't know how they're going to survive.  is there any help for people on contribution based? 

they don't have any savings but they do have a second property which pays the mortgage with its own rental nothing more.  

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The cost of living payments are generally linked to income based benefits.

Need to check if they are claiming everything they are entitled to.
    What income do they have other than contribution based benefits ESA? Do they have savings over £16,000? Are they each getting contribution based ESA (£117.60 each) and is this the old ESA or is it new style ESA?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,446 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

they don't have any savings but they do have a second property which pays the mortgage with its own rental nothing more.  

Who lives in the property? Is it a close relative?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.