Hi, my name is sy72! I've just been awarded LWC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is sy72! I've just been awarded LWC

Options
sy72
sy72 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited February 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
I've just been awarded LWC and was awarded this prior to April 2017 I'm on UC am I entitled to the extra payment now 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,619 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not clear on what you mean by "was awarded this prior to April 2017." You said you've just been awarded it.
    Is this your first work capability assessment? if so when exactly did you report your health condition? You would need to have reported it before April 3rd 2017 to be entitled to the extra money and 5 years is a long time to be waiting for a decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sy72
    Options
    I was awarded before April 2017 then a break work etc, sick note Oct 22 the awarded lwc Feb 2023, looking at certain statements online before April 3rd 2017 keeps cropping up?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I’m still not understanding what exactly you mean. 
    What exactly were you awarded in April 2017? Was that the date you first applied for UC and then you sent your first fit note in October 2022? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sy72
    Options
    ESA pre 2017 uc claim Nov 2018
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Which group were you in when you were claiming ESA? 
    What was the reason why you claimed UC and were you claiming ESA when you claimed UC? 
    What happened between 2018 when you claimed UC and October 2022 when you sent a fit note? 
  • sy72
    Options
    Can't remember which group in esa was on jsa then went to uc  2018-2022 some time on sick some time work some time looking for work 
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2023
    Options
    It’s extremely difficult to advise without all the correct information.

First you mention claiming ESA and then JSA and then UC in 2018. 

Did you claim JSA after you were claiming ESA? And then after claiming JSA you then claimed Uc in 2018 is that correct? 
  • sy72
    Options
    That sounds correct 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then you will not be entitled to the extra money for LCW because you sent your fit note in 2022, which was clearly after the rules were changed in April 2017.

If you disagree with that decision and think you qualify for LCWRA then you can challenge that decision by requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration. You should state why you think you should be awarded this and which descriptor yoh think applies to you. You can see the descriptors here https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/limited-capability-for-work-related-activity
  • sy72
    Options
    Thank you 😊 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You’re welcome.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @sy72

Welcome to the community! :) I'm so glad Poppy was able to help with your query :)

Just to let you know, I popped your post into our Universal Credit section, in case you had anymore questions or queries!
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,627 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's fantastic news congratulations 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.