How to deal with worrying and overthinking? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to deal with worrying and overthinking?

Options
JustJem
JustJem Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
Hi, I struggle really bad with my anxiety, especially over thinking and worrying about things that have not happened yet or may not happen.

How do you cope with your anxiety, worrying, overthinking? 

Any advice would be helpful.
Tagged:

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @JustJem

I'm so sorry you are feeling so anxious. Have you ever been referred or self referred for therapy? I find talking therapies and mindfulness really helped me. There are also wonderful organisations like SHOUT which is a 24/7 texting services for when you so feel mentally overloaded.

One thing that helps me is keeping busy, but keeping busy for me. I love researching my family history which feels like a never ending project. I also journal, read books (buy a lot of books :D) and meeting with friends where I can to have a drink or go to the pub quiz. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • JustJem
    Options
    Hi Hannah, thank you for your kind and helpful message.
    I just kind of feel alone in the world right now and feel stuck with my current situation. 

I'm finally under the community mental health team *fingers crossed* and waiting on having 1 on 1 support. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    edited February 2023
    Options
    That's excellent @JustJem :) I am so please to hear that, 1 on 1 is a lot better too in my opinion, I feel you open up a lot earlier, a lot more and then you gain more confidence too :) 

You are not alone, you have us here in the community! <3

Is there anything we could help with?
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • JustJem
    Options
    Hi Hannah, I was also wondering about work from home jobs for my friend, he's on the autistic spectrum and finds it hard to maintain full time employment due to his sensories etc. Can you point them in the right direction? 😀
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @JustJem

Working from home positions are tagged as such on websites like indeed, the main thing to look out for is the word hybrid in the job description as that means they would like you to work part at home and part in the office. 

We also have our own Employment Services here at Scope, that he may benefit from :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

• JustJem
    Options
    Thank you Hannah, that means a lot. :)
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would just like to add to this if that's ok @JustJem. Mainly because I am also autistic and sometimes look for home-based roles, especially with also having multiple chronic health conditions affecting pain and energy levels. 

If your friend has a particular favourite company he would like to work for, it might be worth approaching the employer to ask if they would consider working-from-home arrangements as a reasonable adjustment. Though different employers view this differently and it can also vary between different roles.

If your friend would like to work for the charity sector, he can also search home based within the location search box. In fact, most employment searching services have developed this facility since the COVID-19 pandemic.

I would like to add to this that if your friend did wish to work face-to-face but would like support managing his sensories, there are other 'reasonable adjustments' and Access to Work that could support him with this. 

If you would like to discuss this further or if we can do anything else to support you please don't hesitate to let us know  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.