Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Cooker extractor fan out of reach

Options
stain444
stain444 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Working through issues to allow my 92 year old mother to have independence in her own home. Most I can tackle. However, her cooker hob has an extractor fan (standard size) that she is unable to reach due to arthritis. I believe I can replace this easily but any replacement would need the operating panels/buttons at a different position that she could reach. She has wifi so if there is such an option for hardware that communicates, I could set it up. Anybody dealt with solving such an issue?

Comments

• rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,669 Pioneering
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hi stain444

Welcome to Scope online.

Lot's of information and fun to be had onsite.

There are cooker hoods which work via remote control. It really is a case of searching for one that is compatible with your mum's hob, as you aware aware, there are a variety of cooker hoods, chimney, telescopic, built under etc.  

Also she may qualify for funding, worth investigating with social services.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    The first, cheapest thing I would think of is ask an electrician about breaking the supply to the fan and run it to an  on/off wall switch within reach
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,669 Pioneering
    Options
    newborn said:
    The first, cheapest thing I would think of is ask an electrician about breaking the supply to the fan and run it to an  on/off wall switch within reach

It would be, but as soon as you adapt the extractor fan, your product will no longer be covered by the warranty. Why get into a 'pickle' when you don't have to. 

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.