If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Lhcra claim after prison

Options
johnboy2001
johnboy2001 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited February 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi there i recently received the extra element on universal credit, my sick notes cover me from 2019, although I've not long been released from prison, I've only just getting this new benefit although I've been on the sick since 2016

Question is will they backdate before my prison sentence or since start of my new claim???

Comments

• johnboy2001
    Options
    Hi there i recently received the extra element on universal credit, my sick notes cover me from 2019, although I've not long been released from prison, I've only just getting this new benefit although I've been on the sick since 2016

Question is will they backdate before my prison sentence or since start of my new claim???
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    The LCWRA element is payable for the first full UC month that starts three months after you declared your health condition.

(Presumably all of your benefits had stopped while in prison.)

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • johnboy2001
    Options
    I declared my mental health back in 2016 although, I never knew about this extra element on universal credit, my sicknotes back date to 2016 though.

There saying because I was on esa 2016-2018 im not intitled to any back dated payments.

I went to prison in 2021 and was released 2022 now there trying to say because its a new claim they may only be able to bsck date it to the day I was released although sick notes cover me from 2016 

Bizzare 
  • johnboy2001
    Options
    Thanks calcotti
  • calcotti
    edited February 2023
    Options
    When you claiming ESA in the Support Group when you first claimed UC or was there a gap between ESA and UC?

Were you getting UC prior to going into prison? If so were you in prison for less than six months and if so were you still being paid the housing element of UC?
  • johnboy2001
    Options
    I went too prison in 2018 until 2019 12month incarcerated 

I was on esa from 2016 till 2018

2019 universal credit 

2021 prison until 2022 10month incarcerated housing paid first 13 weeks 

Thanks for reply 

I'm currently waiting on phone back from citizens advice about the matter there saying upto 3days though.

Thanks again any help with this is appreciated 
  • calcotti
    Options
    Your claim in 2022 is a new claim so you are only entitled to the LCWRA element from your fourth payment of the current claim.

In respect of the 2019 claim, if you declared a health condition when you claimed supported by Fit Notes, you should have had a Work Capability Assessment which would have determined whether or not you were entitled to LCWRA in that claim. 

Regardless of the 2019 - 2021 UC claim your work status capability for that claim would not carry over into the 2022 claim.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @johnboy2001

Welcome to the community :) Just to let you know I merged your two threads and have popped your post into the Universal Credit section of the forum.

How did you come across us here in the community? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • johnboy2001
    Options
    Just looking online for answers Hannah 

Hope your well 
  • johnboy2001
    Options
    I can't understand why I cannot clsim from 2019 as there were no assessments during this time i was left from 2019 till 21 without payments my sicknotes backdate way back to 2016 

I'm fighting this one I've been told I maybe able to from a certain association but who knows
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hopefully Citizen's Advice may be able to give more of an insight 🤞 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • calcotti
    Options
    I can't understand why I cannot clsim from 2019 as there were no assessments during this time i was left from 2019 till 21 without payments my sicknotes backdate way back to 2016 
    I think they only way you could approach that, given that the claim is now closed, is by making a complaint.  
  • johnboy2001
    Options
    Yeah ill be doing that as my sicknotes backdated to 2016 nevrmind 2019 but with gaps in claims and covid they've been unable to process my claim onto the extra element which isn't really my fault we shall see 

Thanks for the help guys 

And I'm hoping so Hannah 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.