Hi, my name is rogercotton! Advice would be great - UC deducted money — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is rogercotton! Advice would be great - UC deducted money

rogercotton Community member Posts: 1 Listener
any advise would be great .u c have deducted money from my payments for getting esa and carers allowance together though it never happened because when i applied for carers allowance i was told i wasnt entitilted to it as i was on esa. i have the letter from carers unit confirming this but  was told by uc  i owed them 2000 pound .when i checked my u c payments i found they had been deducting carers allowance of me for 6months though i wasnt recieving it  so they owe that to me .when i phoned up council tax for a deduction i cant have one becaouse im down as getting carers allowance that i dont recieve. now they have sent all paperwork to a decision maker over 3 months ago and no word .i am new to all this after working for 45 years but had to leave my lob last year to care for my wife .


  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 9,767 Scope online community team
    Hello @rogercotton and a warm welcome to the community. 
    I apologise for the delayed response and hope that the decision maker has now sorted this for you. 

    Just in case they haven't, based on what you've shared, it appears that UC has made an error in deducting money from your payments for Carer's Allowance, even though you were not receiving it. It's great that you have a letter from the carers unit confirming your ineligibility for carers allowance, as this will serve as important evidence in your case. Have you been in touch with Carer's Allowance to ensure they've closed down your application on their system as sometimes this can cause issues. 

    I understand that you've been waiting for over three months for a decision maker to review your case, which can be frustrating. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee on how long it will take for a decision to be made. However, I'd advise you to try and follow up with UC regularly to ensure that your case is being actively worked on. Some people also have success contacting their MP and asking them to have it looked into, or asking UC how to submit a complaint about the delay as this sometimes prompts them to prioritise. 

    Have you made any progress with your council tax? 

    Community Manager


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.