Inside our autistic minds bbc2 9pm tonight - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Inside our autistic minds bbc2 9pm tonight

Options
2»

Comments

• anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    Options
    Having now watched it - another interesting one focusing on cognitively able people. And another one to make me think about my own son who isn't cognitively able. My son only has one friend, also autistic and he likes to be around others who are autistic. He does not gel at all with neurotypical people.

I think this is why he might be going through a relatively peaceful and happy period in his life - he is surrounded by people that are 'like him' so he doesn't spend all day trying to fit in; he can just be himself.

It reminded me how stressful school was for him - and how he might again need to work hard to mask behaviours in future.

We had the company of a 5yr old and a 7yr old for pancakes yesterday and my son gelled really well with the 7yr old!!! They were telling each other jokes and that just seemed to be the right level for him.

The one that really made him laugh from the 7yr old was "why do squirrels swim on their backs?"

To keep their nuts dry😮🤭

Playground humour, eh?!
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think it just highlights the extent to which we (as autistic people) are all different! @anisty. You have made such a key point though about the value of acceptance in enabling us to be ourselves and supporting our mental health and well-being. Love the humour and the fact your son had someone he could gel well with.

How did everyone else find episode 2? I found it really interesting. Usually, people talk about females masking but not necessarily males masking. It was really interesting to hear about masking from a male's perspective as this is something that is not usually widely discussed  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.