Pip assessor report — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessor report

Options
skyladawn
skyladawn Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
Hi all, I got a copy of my report and it looks favourable, I know that it could change, but in the bit where it says preparing food it states that I lack motivation (MH) and my sons have to prompt me then that because my hands lock up I can’t open jars or use a tin opener (this condition is still being investigated) I did tell the assessor that my sons help with all the cooking because of my hands locking and the pain etc but she ticked the box that says “needs prompting “
I then read the justification for restrictions not supported and it basically says that I have no cognitive impairment because I have a drivers license? Can someone please enlighten me as to why having a license would make any difference to needing assistance to cook 
tia 

Comments

• anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    Options
    Hmmmm. Well I can't see how cognitive ability is going to prevent your hands locking up but driving a car requires quite a bit of skill - ability to read the road, predict and react to situations correctly.

Co ordination skills, visual perception, etc etc. It's more difficult, cognitively, to drive than it is to cook.

So i suppose they are assuming if you have the cognitive ability to drive, that means you must have sufficient comprehension, co ordination, understanding if danger etc to cook as well.

It sounds like the pain you experience when trying to cook hasn't properly been taken into account.
  • skyladawn
    Options
    Hi @anisty and thanks for responding. Yeah that makes sense as to the reasoning, but as you say the pain and the locking of my hand has been disregarded
    the same thing about me having a license has been copy and pasted on nearly everything else in the report too 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    Options
    Because you have a license, doesn't mean you actually drive. That is quite meaningless, unless they ask, do you own a car? do you drive your car? how often do you drive your car? etc. 
  • skyladawn
    Options
    She did ask if I drove I said no ( I don’t have a car) she then asked if I could drive and when was the last time and even in the report she gets that wrong 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,808 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you added up any recommended points? You need at least 8 points for standard award, at least 12 points for Enhanced. Daily living and mobility are added separately.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • skyladawn
    Options
    Hi yes I have and if they go with the report I should get standard daily no mobility 
    but if they change the preparing food from needs prompting to needs assistance (as that’s what I need) I would get enhanced 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.