Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Universal Credit change

Ambs42 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
I recieve the enhanced daily living and mobility for PIP and the limited work capability Universal credit. In july I will be moving into my boyfriend's parents house, since my mother has to move to Gloucestshire to look after my grandparents and the change etc would be too overwhelming for myself and most of my treatements will have to be moved over which means more waiting around. My boyfriend also is a lot more supportive and understanding compared to my mum. He works full time. I just wanted to know if I still would be eligible for UC since I would be moving in with him, but living with his parents. There's nothing online that helps with this specific situation. I know I would still recieve PIP because it isnt means tested. 



  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,191 Disability Gamechanger
    When you move in with your BF then you will need to report a change of circumstances on your journal and tell them you're now living with your partner. You will then be sent a linking code. Your partner will then need to claim UC theirself and use the linking code you were sent. This will then join both claims together, so you'll be claiming as a couple.

    Whether there's any entitlement will depend on your joint circumstances. You will have the work allowance which means your partner can receive a certain amount of earnings each month before the 55% deductiions apply. As you won't be claiming any help with the rent then your work allowance will be £631/month (April increase amount)

    If no one is claiming either carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you then your partner will be able to claim carers element, if they look after you for at least 35 hours per week.

    You can use a benefits calculator to check whether there's any entitlement. Please also bear in mind that benefits increase by 10.1% from April so my advice is to wait until after that before using a benefits calculator because if you use it now then the amounts given will be current rates.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.