Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

help with esa and sdp

Options
UrbanGamer86
UrbanGamer86 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
hey guys, so me and my partner claim joint for esa, we both get pip and I claim carers for her however I am now super confused, we had a telephone call saying that we shouldn't be put on sdp because of the carers allowence but on the website it says a couple can get sdp at low rate if there is a carer, is there anyone that can explain this more to me as I am confused and being told we shouldn't be on it, is giving me a load of anxiety, specially if we have to pay 3 years worth of payments back

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,159 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're not claiming ESA as a couple. There will be a main claimant, with an additional extra for your partner. Only the claimant will be receiving NI credits but the partner doesn't.

The person you spoke to on the phone isn't correct. If it's just the two of you living at home and no other adults, unless they either claim a qualifying disability benefit or they're registered blind. Then you will be entitled to the single SDP of £69.40/week in with your ESA. As you're claiming carers allowance for your partner then the SDP would be for you, unless someone is either claiming carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you.

Ideally because the NI credits for the ESA are only paid to the main claimant, then the person who isn't the main claimant should be claiming carers allowance. This would mean that you would both be receiving NI credits.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • UrbanGamer86
    edited February 2023
    Options
    no one claims carers for myself, I claim it for my partner and shes the main claiment of esa, I think I am going to ring them up tomorrow and see what rate we was on and ask them the same, it seems they might be trying it on and clawing some money back but unsure until I ask
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then unless you live with another adult then you're entitled to the single SDP. Was it ESA that rang you?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • UrbanGamer86
    Options
    We had a complience telephone interview 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Can you please confirm that there's no other adults living at home with you and your PIP includes daily living?
  • UrbanGamer86
    Options
    there is no other adults living here, she gets enhanced care and I get enhanced on both
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then there's no reasons why you wouldn't be entitled to single SDP. Give ESA a ring tomorrow when they open.
  • UrbanGamer86
    Options
    I will do thanks
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    no one claims carers for myself, I claim it for my partner and shes the main claiment of esa, ..
    That's great - you are getting Class 1 NI credits from the CA and she gets Class 1 NI credits from the ESA.

By my calculation the ESA award should include
    standard couple allowance £121.05
    enhanced disability premium £25.35
    Support Group component £40.60
    carer premium (because you receive CA) £38.85
    Severe Disability premium (because no one receives CA for looking after you) £69.40
    Maximum ESA = £295.25/week 
    minus the CA you receive £69.70/week
    ESA payable = £225.55/week (£451.10/fortnight)

Above assumes no other income (other than the PIP or DLA) or savings over £6,000.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • UrbanGamer86
    Options
    we used to get around that, it was around 430 that we got but until the complience officer rang us, we arn't allowed it, I am going to ring them up and get some information
  • UrbanGamer86
    Options
    So some good news, I rang up esa to get more info on what sdp we was one, turns out we was one the right premium however they couldn't see my pip, I explain to the lady that we both get pip and only 1 carer and no adults living with us, she put in a new claim for single rate sdp and did tell us we are eligible for the single rate, now we will have to wait upto 4 weeks to find out if we get it or now, next is to ring the complience officer and tell them the same
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,210 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your good news with us and let's hope more is to come in a month's time don't forget to let us know how you got on in a month's time and if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask in this thread. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Odd that they couldn’t see your PIP.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's great news @UrbanGamer86. Hope the call with the compliance officer goes just as well!
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • UrbanGamer86
    Options
    I am still trying to get hold of the complience officer, proving difficult at the moment, it is odd I would agree, seems they are trying there hand at clawing back money and hoping no one will fight against them, I will let you know the outcome when I recieve the letter
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,210 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh thank you life is always a fight for disabilities but we will all win together as here on this community we are a team that's helping everyone win. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.