Qualifications/out of country — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Qualifications/out of country

chelseachaoman Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I am looking to get information on what of any benefits my child qualifies for. My daughter is 17 and has Down syndrome. She is a UK citizen and lives in the US. I am an American citizen. Her father, my ex husband is a British and American citizen and get benefits from the British government as he is 70.  Does my daughter qualify for any UK benefits. She has not lived in the UK in the past 5 years 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,806 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 16
    Unfortunately she doesn't qualify because she's not living in the UK. You will need to look to see if there's anything to claim in the US but i'm afraid i have no knowledge of that.
    Your Ex husband will be state pension age and you can claim state pension even if you live abroad because this is based on your NI contributions. https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chelseachaoman
    chelseachaoman Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    thank you so much. What if I’m not pension age and don’t have UK citizenship. Can I still claim my ex husbands pension?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.