Autism and Not knowing how you are feeling or how others are feeling. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autism and Not knowing how you are feeling or how others are feeling.

Options
rubin16
rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 582 Pioneering
I have always struggled with not knowing how i'm feeling, or understanding emotions and the emotions of others and it has always got me in alot of trouble with family and friends who think I don't care as I rarely show empathy towards others or ever express emotion. I just always act the same not matter what the occasion which is niether happy or sad just normal, I find it really hard to cry too and be upset in a bad situation.

Another thing I have a problem with is not feeling hunger or when I need to goto the bathroom till I really have to go, or i'm feeling dizzy becuase I have forgotten to eat. I only ever eat one meal a day and its really late in the evening as I forget to eat or don't feel like eating becuase I don't feel hungry.

I never really thought of these being seperate conditions linked to Autism, Alexithymia and Interoception which I learned yesterday at an Austism Online group info session.

Does anyone else have similar experiences?
I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't have experience of this myself @rubin16 but it sounds like the Autism Online session was really informative for you, that's great to hear!

Will there be another session soon? 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 582 Pioneering
    Options
    Yeah they have a session every month, and they cover different subjects related to autism and share experiences. I have been apart of it for like 6 months and have learned alot about why I do the things I do.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's wonderful @rubin16 things like that can be a real eye opener can't they? :)

I sometimes find with disability there's not many places you can easily find information on what things are like 'day to day'. I hope this community is one of those places for it's members!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

How do you feel about these things @rubin16? I am autistic but I am more ‘in tune’ with myself and my emotions and the emotions of other people. 

I do sometimes not recognise I am hungry though, particularly if I am busy! So, there are times when I can experience this.

Generally, though, I have a strong appetite but don't always recognise when I am thirsty. I use a drinks bottle with timings on it for this reason (keeps me hydrated)  :p  

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,571 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have autism I can relate to you as I can't read how other people are feeling. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.