You set your direct debit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

You set your direct debit

CMB
CMB Community member Posts: 44 Listener
If you pay for electricity and gas by direct debit, you tell your provider what they can take from your account. I have, and even got a refund in the summer. It is your money, so you don't need to be dictated to. As long as what you are willing to pay is reasonable. I have two hours of central heating daily and sometimes put it on in the morning. I have it on when friends come. That's it. I wear layers, and let sunlight warm my home. I make sure I am warm in bed. Make sure your feet are warm, then your whole body can be warm.

Comments

• anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    Some companies seem better than others with this. We are with EDF and they are a bit too swift to refund over payments and lower direct debits.

My friend is with Scottish gas and she had a real job getting credit returned.

We just got our winter bill in and i am very pleased with all our energy saving efforts - we have used less than 50%of what edf predicted for us, based on last year's use. 

Most of this will be thanks to a new boiler fitted last April. But we have turned our shower to economy setting which is half the price - much lower flow rate as it just puts one heating element on instead of two but we can do it for the savings.

Also showering with window wide open, rather than having the fan on. My poor hubby has a bad heart and says the shock of coming out of the shower into an ice cold bathroom is going to be the end of him lol!

We have never had a tumble drier and i stopped using the oven - try to stick to hob/microwave. 

• anisty
    Went off at a tangent there lol - meant to say yes with edf, simply go into your app and tell them what you want to pay. Click of an icon, so simple.

My friend doesn't have that with her provider.

So - some companies definitely are better than others🙂
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    anisty said:
    Went off at a tangent there lol - meant to say yes with edf, simply go into your app and tell them what you want to pay. Click of an icon, so simple.

My friend doesn't have that with her provider.

So - some companies definitely are better than others🙂
    You could say that. My DD (as dictated to by the fuel company) is actually overpaying what we are using during the winter.
    In addition they are holding just over £900 credit ready for our bill due on the 28th.
    I complained about the level of the DD and they have said that they will put in prepayment meter so that we only pay for what we use. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,172 Disability Gamechanger
    I switched to Octopus Energy from SSE quite a few years ago and it was the best thing i ever did. With Octopus, they never fail to tell you that "we" the customer are fully in control of what DD we choose to pay each month, so if you can't afford the amount they ask then just log into your account and change it to what is reasonable for you. They were also very kind to send me a free electric throw at the start of the winter and this has help keep me warmer.

Bills are calculated on a monthly basis so you know exactly where you are, how much energy you're using and how much you pay. I have a smart meter and signed up for the energy saving hours since the start of the winter and have currently earned 57,000 points, convert that to cash and it's about £71. You can choose what you do this with this, including adding it to your energy account.

I've seen my gas bills double since this time last year but thankfully, had built up a nice amount of credit during the warmer months to see me through winter, on top of my DDs and the help of the energy grant each month. Warmer weather isn't too far away now and i'm still in credit and will remain in credit through the rest of the cold weather.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • anisty
    That's not good @2oldcodgers - you'll pay more for your energy with a pre payment meter.

I have heard good things about Octopus and i know they are taking on new customers if you call them up (that was said on Martin Lewis money show when he had the boss of Octopus on as a guest)

We have had a good service from Edf but i don't know if their reputation is as good as octopus.

And - they are a bit TOO quick to refund.

I paid extra in all last summer as i was worried about winter and, without contacting me, they refunded the whole lot last October - leaving us entering the coldest months with a nil balance. I wasnt very pleased about that!

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,172 Disability Gamechanger
    With Octopus, you can request a refund of any credit you have at anytime. I've just decided to leave mine increase.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    I have a smart prepayment meter and at least Im not having money clawed out of my bank account, with the smart meter at least I have to control what I use or else I'll be disconnected, if I had a regular meter I wouldn't be so cautious with my energy use, and have massive bills.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    I've got a prepayment meter too ... it's a bit more expensive but I like the fact I'm always on top of what we spend.  Currently not finding it too bad - the 66£ government electric top up lasts a month and about £50 on gas

The DD thing though - I've done work for Utility companies and they always took 3/4 months to settle invoices ... I wonder how much of their profits come from interest accrued in their bank accounts ...
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    anisty said:
    That's not good @2oldcodgers - you'll pay more for your energy with a pre payment meter.

Tell me about it.
    I'm still waiting to see what they are going to do. I have no debt with them and in fact they have £900 now of my money as a credit.
    The way they are acting is really winding me up - just let them try to gain access to my property! Complete idiots.
    All I wanted was for them to remove the too big DD and that instead I would pay off the amount used each month + I want my credit returned.
  • CMB
    CMB Community member Posts: 44 Listener
    I once had a prepayment meter. Never again. I thought I had control but I paid more and once ran out. I changed to direct debit. I was taken over by Shell, when my previous company went under. They demanded huge amounts but I have always told them what they can take, I have a smart meter and am always under budget. Shell makes me sick: they offer free broadband while robbing the vulnerable. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.