Need advice, severe disability premium — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need advice, severe disability premium

Nicnat1990 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
So I live on my own and get pip plus serve disability payment my mum is 82 and has cancer she on attendance allowance doesn't have any saving  if she moved in with me would I lose my serve disabilty payment  plus I don't have to pay council tax as I'm on disability  I do pay room tax what would I lose 


  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,011 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 18
    Because she gets AA you wouldn’t lose the SDP. 

    You don’t actually say what benefit you are claiming that includes the SDP. 

    Can you clarify whether you pay no Council Tax because you have a discount or because your Council Tax is covered by Council Tax Reduction.

    You say that you pay ‘room tax’. Do you mean that you claim Housing Benefit but it doesn’t cover all of your rent because you have a spare room.

    Could you clarify whether your rent privately or from your local authority or housing association and how many bedrooms you have.

    Does mum receive anything other than her State Pension and AA or does she get Pension Credit. If the latter does she get SDP in her PC?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    I would just like to add a warm welcome @Nicnat1990. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.