What can I do if things have gotten in the way of getting into a committed, long-term and to lasted? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What can I do if things have gotten in the way of getting into a committed, long-term and to lasted?

Options
Splatmate24
Splatmate24 Community member Posts: 380 Courageous
So far, I've been on dating sites and apps, and I already have another mini cold. Occasionally, I go out for tea. I'm interested in a long-term relationship. However, so far things have gotten in my way, such as guys being too tall who are 6ft and have good profiles. Then my mini cold got in the way and I decided to try real-life dating instead. I'm on online dating and it sometimes starts out OK but sometimes it feels funny. What is an open global learning disability? Facebook dating seems to be more successful to me than other dating apps. It gets in the way of my new long-term relationship and I want it to last when I enter into a relationship. I'm ok with guys letting them know if they have a learning disability. It is better to be honest from the start than lying. One guy seems to be nervous around pretty girls I also feel nervous around some people and when I go out and about. Do I need to relax my standards? Although I don't believe I am that confident, I can be shy when I meet someone for the first time.meeting. Things are a bit different online than they are in person. The reason I ask is because Can I avoid things getting in my way of getting into a new relationship long term?

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hey @Splatmate24. Thank you for reaching out to us. I can hear what a difficult time you are continuing to have with finding a committed, long-term and lasting relationship.

In terms of mini colds getting in the way, could you communicate with the person that you would like to still meet up with them but currently have a cold and would like to reschedule for a time you feel better?

This means your plans can still go ahead and colds don't get in the way but you also take care of yourself and the other person. 

When you say "sometimes it feels funny", would you feel comfortable sharing a little more with us about what this looks like for you? It is really important to us that we hear you as clearly as we can.

In terms of global learning disability, Google seems to recognise this as a Global Development Delay. Am I right in hearing this is the same thing? If so, Mencap defines it as follows:

"The term 'developmental delay' or 'global development delay' is used when a child takes longer to reach certain development milestones than other children their age. This might include learning to walk or talk, movement skills, learning new things and interacting with others socially and emotionally. Someone with another condition, like Down's syndrome or Cerebral palsy, may also have Global developmental delay. For some people, the delay in their development will be short-term and can be overcome with additional support or therapy. In other cases the delay may be more significant and the child will need ongoing support. This indicates they may also have a learning disability."
    It is important to recognise, whilst this article refers to "child", it is not only children who can be diagnosed with Global Development Delay and some adults can have Global Development Delay.

I completely hear you about feeling nervous when you first meet someone. I think this is something most (if not all of us!) would feel when meeting someone for the first time.

Is there anything, in particular, that might help you to manage the nerves when you first meet someone - For example, taking someone with you and meeting in a public place or doing a shared activity?

A shared activity would be anything you would both particularly enjoy and this is something you could explore when you are talking before the meeting. For example, bowling, the cinema, a zoo or an aquarium.

I hope this is at least semi-helpful. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you would like to talk about it further or if there's anything else we can do to support you with this  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Splatmate24
    Splatmate24 Community member Posts: 380 Courageous
    Options
    @L_Volunteer.  not yet set up since i'm texting through message by Facebook  and yep some has be helpful , i also used to go bowling a lot when in my town warrington and now we has two bowling center . there also one in manchester that i not be but has pass . has been in altrincham bowling with a used to be date but did become friend after 

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Good luck @Splatmate24. Please do feel free to let us know how it goes and if you need any further support  :)

Please note, I love bowling too!
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.