Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Looking for work

Options
Broreb1981
Broreb1981 Community member Posts: 165 Courageous
Ive been an administrator for the last 16 years, its a very stressful role involving accounts, exports and a variety of other jobs throughout the day. It's also a very early am start. It's becoming too difficult to carry on and I'm currently in the process of applying for ESA. If I'm placed in the support group I would like to find a suitable job for a few hours a day or a few full days a week. Where do I start looking? Can people help you find a suitable job? 

Comments

• rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,665 Pioneering
    edited February 2023
    Options
    a) If I'm placed in the support group I would like to find a suitable job for a few hours a day or a few full days,

yes, 16 hours a week.

b) Where do I start looking?

You would apply for jobs, through employment sites, etc. There might also be dedicated channels etc.

c) Can people help you find a suitable job? 

As, employee friendly companies. 

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/working-while-you-claim

https://hive.evenbreak.co.uk/
  • Spoonbill
    Spoonbill Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Sounds like you're very experienced and hopefully will find something suitable quickly.
    Also obligatory mention to first consider a reasonable adjustment, flexible working or home working if you would prefer to stay. (Other threads + Scope site cover those options :) )
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Broreb1981

Have you thought about reaching out to Scope's Support To Work Programme? They have a lot of employment advice and are a wonderful support :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Broreb1981
    Broreb1981 Community member Posts: 165 Courageous
    Options
    I'm getting myself worked up so I'm looking for some reassurance please. I have schizoaffective disorder, fibromyalgia and most recently CRPS in my ankle. I'm off work sick, that ends today so I've applied for ESA. I'm expecting/hoping to be in the support group. I want to work but I know I have limits, even more so now. I can't carry on in my current job, too stressful and not a caring employer. Do people with multiple health conditions get employed? I'm getting myself down thinking this is it now I'm going to be stuck at home forever. Please tell me it's not true and you do have jobs. Working from home would be helpful but I would like to be in a office for a couple of days 
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,128 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I also in the same boat as you I would love  to work 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,017 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you do start working while claiming ESA you must make sure you tell DWP that you're working and fill out a PW1 form.
    You must also make sure you work less than 16 hours per week, working 16 hours or more will mean you're not entitled to any ESA. The earnings limit is £152/week (this will increase slightly from April). If you earn more than this then you won't be entitled to any ESA. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/permitted-work-rules

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Spoonbill
    Spoonbill Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    Options
    'Do people with multiple health conditions get employed?' Yes, I can personally attest to having worked with some. It's understandable to feel overwhelmed - personally I'd prioritise getting help from somewhere like Scope's employment support service as suggested, and you can go steadily through the options and steps in whichever direction it takes. Stay cool, @Broreb1981 -  you got this. Best wishes.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have multiple health conditions/disabilities and I am in work. However, I have found finding the right job role for me, combined with the right work setup (hybrid) and a supportive working environment pivotal for me  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I work and I have disabilities. Mine mean I'm better suited working from home but if I was able to I could work in the office. There are jobs that do have that hybrid of remote / office work balance. You can sometimes filter those as options on job search sites.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.