If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are there apprenticeships for disabled people to start slowly on jobs?

Options
Orkidea
Orkidea Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2023 in Work and employment
I moved with my husband to UK about 6 years ago from states and got mugged violently and ever since been dealing with range of health issues and never been able to work in UK. I found out about PIP recently, applied and receiving now standard on both parts. I am desperately looking for getting back to some sort of work remote or adapted to my disabilities since I have a BA in electronics and experience. I have been without income for so many years now and been tough on one income and of course no pension as it appears for now. Can you please help me get back on the right track both in terms of income planning and disable programs for people who have been outside of job market for a while and disabled. Are there apprenticeships for disabled people to start slowly on jobs? many thanks PS. Our savings are slightly over 16k. 

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hello @Orkidea

I'm so sorry no one has answered your query. I don't know if you are aware but Scope has a fantastic Support To Work service for those with disabilities. They offer support whilst getting back into work and once you are in your position for up to 26 weeks. I think they would have some advice and be a great help to you :) Everything is done remotely too! 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there @Orkidea and welcome, thanks for reaching out, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened when you and your husband moved to the UK, was it ever reported to the Police?

I can see Hannah has shared our Support to Work Service, so have a look if you can. Scope also has lots of guidance on finding jobs, which I hope will be helpful to read :) 

If you or your husband need any ongoing support with the impact of the mugging, please visit Victim Support, and remember it's never too late to get the support you need. 

If we can do anything else to help, please let us know.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Stellar
    Stellar Community member Posts: 131 Pioneering
    Options
    there isn't really anything unless you're a young person. and apprenticeships pay poverty money so you're better off avoiding them.

IMO self-employment is your best option.

other issue is that a lot of employment support is gatekept behind the jobcentre and you'd need to be on uiniversal credit to access it. you won't qualify for it cause of your husbands income and your high level of savings.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.