Hi, my name is manchesterber! Self employment advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is manchesterber! Self employment advice

Options
manchesterber
manchesterber Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2023 in Work and employment
Im currently claiming esa and pip but want my life back .ive a chance of 5 hours a day work painting but for myself .but i will have to come of all benefits i think .and have to become self employed.but im not guaranteed of the work .this is a big gamble as my benefits is guaranteed income .whats peoples opiion and what would u do please

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,145 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @manchesterber welcome,  i cant advise on esa but pip won't be effected if you work, as long as it doesn't go against the reasons you have the award
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,530 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When claiming ESA you can do permitted work. You must make sure you work less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £152/ week. 
    If you work 5 hours a day Monday to Friday then that’s more than the permitted work hours and your ESA will end. 
    If you’re going to start working these amount of hours you can claim Universal Credit before you start work. If you’re in the Support Group for ESA then you’ll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. 
    You will then have the work allowance which will mean you can receive a certain amount of earnings per month before any deductions apply. 
    If you claim for help with any rent your work allowance will be £344/month, if you don’t it will be £573/month. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • manchesterber
    manchesterber Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thankyou all for fredback im still uncertain .i claim pip for my depresion .anxiety.mental health  i have a little boy aged 5.this work aint guaranteed 5 hours a day.as i would be advertiseing for work .as i want to get back out there and set example to my boy that we go to schook to get good jobs .this work would not be guaranteed and if i come of benefit and take the chance and no work came my way then im puting myself in a vulnerBle situation .with income.id like be self employed but its the gamble to start .my esa is for my mental health and alcoholism
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,530 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you claim UC as i advised there's no earnings limit. If you're in the Support Group for ESA then you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim.

May i ask if the ESA claim is in your name or a partners name? If it's in your name then the above advice applies. If you do start working then you'll need to make sure you report the changes to ESA and fill out a PW1 form. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/permitted-work-rules

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.