Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is dshah1912! Can I claim PIP, Motability car and carer's allowance?

Options
dshah1912
dshah1912 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I am new to claim world. I am a disabled as I have only right hand because my left hand has been amputed due to the accident. I am not sure what I can claim? Which claim will not require to show your incomes and savings? Can I claim PIP, Motability car and carer's allowance? I am a british citizen. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,230 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    New style ESA isn't means tested but to be entitled to payments for this you'll need to have the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years 2020/21 and 2021/22 but it's an overlapping benefit with carers allowance and you can't be paid them both.

Other than that there's only Universal Credit but because it's means tested if you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming. If you live with a partner you claim as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dshah1912
    Options
    Hi Poppy123456, thank you for your reply. I am not after claiming income support but need financial help in order to do my things. So wants to check that If I can able to claim PIP, motability for car and carer’s allowance. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Apologies, I misread your question. For PIP you must be under state pension age. Whether you’re entitled to anything will depend on exactly how your conditions affect you against the 12 PIP activities. You can see them here https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf
    A successful claim could take several months. 
    You can’t claim carers allowance for looking after yourself. If you’re awarded daily living PIP then someone can claim it for looking after you, if they look after you for at least 35 hours per week and they don’t earn more than £132/week.

To join the motability scheme you need an Enhanced mobility PIP award. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @dshah1912

Welcome to the community! Hope you are well? 

Just to let you know, I popped your post into our Benefits and Financial Support section of the forum, in case you had other questions or queries :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • dshah1912
    Options
    What council will ask when you make your first call to make your claim?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    dshah1912 said:
    What council will ask when you make your first call to make your claim?

PIP has nothing to do with your local council. To start a claim you'll need to ring PIP. When you ring they will ask you some basic questions like NI number, name, address, GP and bank details. See link. https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim
    Then you'll be sent the PIP2 form to fill in and return with all your supporting evidence. Some people are given the option to apply online. If they give you this option then they will send you a link to your email address.

• dshah1912
    Options
    Can I able to claim Mobility PIP for Planning and following journeys? I can walk perfectly fine but I can only drive car which has the special adaption as I have only right hand.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Driving has nothing to do with PIP.

If you have mental difficulties prevent from planning and or following a journey when walking then you can qualify for points.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • dshah1912
    Options
    HI Calcoti, thank you for reply. I am still unsure if the person has only one hand and it is count as long term physical disability then there is no benefit available to drive a car? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Do you have mental health issues too? Or just a physical disability? If it’s just a physical disability then following and planning a journey will not apply to you. If you’re able to walk then moving around part of PIP will also not apply to you. 
  • dshah1912
    Options
    I can completly understand but I have 2 kids 2 and 6 and If I have to take them in park or school run or shopping, how I am going to handle that?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    To qualify for a mobility award you'll need to meet the descriptors to score the points needed for an award. If you don't have mental health issues or physical issues (other than amputation of your hand) and you can walk then you won't qualify for any mobility award.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unfortunately pip doesn't take into account you wanting a car to take your children out 

If you don't have any moving around issues and have the mental capacity to plan and follow a journey then you won't qualify for the mobility element and not be able to access the motability scheme 

You can still purchase a car and have the adaptions you need bug you will have to pay yourself 

However depending on the difficulties you may have completing daily tasks you may be eligible for the daily living part of pip so have a look at the descriptors.  It won't get you a car but could help with additional income 
  • dshah1912
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your reply.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.