Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

What is happening to our NHS

Options
happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 504 Pioneering
I have had three operations last year and still waiting to find out if i have to have my kidney removed and if i also have to go through a 12 hour operation. Will find out next week.

But, my consultant told me if i had in bad pain with my kidneys then i cannot mess around and i must phone an ambulance straight away and not go in a taxi to the hospital.

I was in bad pain the other day to a point i was rolling on the floor and on the bed. I did not phone for an ambulance straight away even though my wife wanted to. But, after three hours of serious pain she phoned the ambulance against my wishes. She told them about my pain and how bad i was and what the consultant said.

The ambulance helpline at 999 said they were only sending ambulances out to people who were suffering from a heart attach or who were dying. The ambulance people were not on strike. They told my wife to take me to the hospital in a taxi.

I could not go in a taxi because of the pain i was in and could not keep still and each time i tried to move i felt like i was going to be sick. Instead i had to deal with the pain for than 16 hours which was the worst pain i have ever had. I had took all the pain medication that i was given to deal with it and nothing shifted it.

I was due to see my consultant in a couple of weeks, and i phoned them up about a recent scan i just had and when i told them about what happend the day before they were shocked. My consultant was not happy and said it was on my records that i should go to the hospital as it could be life threatening.

So, my question is, why is our NHS going down hill fast. In our area just before Covid, the local health authority got rid of a number of ambulances due to cut backs which is shocking.

I would love to know why after all these years since the days of Tony Blair why the Government are not taking our health and the NHS seriously

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,740 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @happyfella

Gosh what an awful story that is. Poor you. I imagine that was an exceptionally long 16 hours :( I can only empathise with your fears about the NHS. Chronic underfunding, increased demand, people living longer with more complex health conditions.. it's an awful storm and I feel for both the staff and those directly impacted such as yourself.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,669 Pioneering
    Options
    There are lots of reasons, retaining nurses, doctors etc is a huge issue. They are leaving to work in the private sector. They work for agencies, the NHS then pays the agencies to hire the HCP, who left the NHS in the first place. But there is much, much more. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @happyfella that's an awful situation to be in  is there a complaints procedure within the ambulance service that can look into what went wrong. Hopefully you get your operation soon. 
    I think it was this way before the pandemic, waiting lists etc. The pandemic has just high lighted it all.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,669 Pioneering
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    @happyfella that's an awful situation to be in  is there a complaints procedure within the ambulance service that can look into what went wrong. Hopefully you get your operation soon. 
    I think it was this way before the pandemic, waiting lists etc. The pandemic has just high lighted it all.
    Exactly that, 'I think it was this way before the pandemic, waiting lists etc. The pandemic has just high lighted it all.'
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 768 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My daughter is on the frontline as a paramedic ... and I know how frustrated she is by it all.  To the point of tears

How her 12 hour shifts regularly turn into 14/15 hour ones just being sat outside hospitals. 
    23 ambulances in front of hers is the most she's reported  and that's at just the one hospital. 
    Add them all up and there's an awful lot of trained staff waiting around unable to attend to serious calls.

The hospitals can't cope and it's a big knock on effect ... also the times lost to  other things, just last week my daughter 'wasted' half a shift being locked in a flat with 2 addicts because another was trying to break in to stab her, so there's a lot we don't see.  It's not all roses like the TV shows portray

I really hope if you need one again @happyfella it's a speedy outcome for you.  Things do need to change, but sadly because it's got to be done from the 'top' ... I think we'll all turn blue holding our breath 

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.