Information housing

RJPar
RJPar Community member Posts: 52 Contributor
I'm new to this & I'm sure like most people I don't want to be in this situation.
Currently I'm in temporary accommodation, being paid for by the council.
Now I'm on a council run site called home finder, you bid on property that you will never get unless you're band 1.
I'm band 3 & somehow I've been shortlisted 1-5, if for some bizarre reason I get to an interview stage, I have zero income, zero savings & on UC recently awarded (LCWRA 1st payment April) how does it work, my allowance is £116 a week, the property is sheltered flat, social housing & weekly rent is £175 how does that work? + Heating & electric, not to mention council tax.
How do I pay for it all?????

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 56,640 Championing
    Hi @RJPar you will get help with  some of your  rent and council tax like you do now. How much depends on your council rules and your income.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing
    At the moment your rent is being paid through housing benefit from your Local Authority.

If you move house unless you'll be living in either supported or temporary housing then your rent will be paid as part of your UC entitlement, so it will increase. You will need to report a change of circumstances on your journal and tell them you're renting from social housing.

The rest of the bills such as energy, water, food, phone etc etc you'll need to pay those yourself from what's left of your UC after your rent is paid. ( the same as you do now) You said you have zero income, which isn't correct because you're claiming UC (although it's a limited amount i agree)

Council tax reduction needs to be claimed from your Local Authority.
  • RJPar
    @poppy123456

Thank you very much for the information, but it looks like will be way out of my limited budget.
    What's the difference between supported & sheltered accommodation?
  • poppy123456
    Supported living is when there's someone there provide support, supervision and/or care for you. Sheltered housing there's a warden but no care and/or supervision is given.

It makes no difference anyway because intead of your rent being paid through housing benefit, it will be paid through your UC, which means your UC will increase to cover your rent.. Unless you have a spare bedroom.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,906 Championing
    @RJPar keeping everything crossed for you for your interview :) 
  • RJPar
    @Hannah_Scope

Thanks I'm actually 2nd in line, so good luck to No1🤞
    As I think I would fail the affordability requirements anyway 😭
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,906 Championing
    You never know @RJPar!

I have a friend who was on home finder and she said it was easier (in our area) to swap properties once in one, but trying to get in was the kicker. I feel positive from hearing you are getting an interview :) 
  • poppy123456
    RJPar said:

As I think I would fail the affordability requirements anyway 😭
    I think you’re missing the point I’m trying to make. Your rent will be covered through your UC claim. 
    This means you’ll continue to receive the UC that you are now plus your rent on top. 
  • RJPar
    @poppy123456

💯% agree.

Because I was in an Airbnb previously (private landlord) *was the confusing part for me* 

From UC on my first payment Jan 2023 never stated PRIVATE LANDLORD 

You said per month the total rent for your property is £606.67.

You will have to pay your housing costs to your landlord.

Monthly, we can pay you £490.01 towards your housing costs. We cannot pay the full amount you told us about because:

the amount we pay cannot be more than your Local Housing Allowance £116.66

1 bed sheltered flat Social Housing £175.66 per week X48 weeks 

So UC will cover full amount above 😁

As always thank you Poppy 

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,925 Championing
    It sounds really positive that UC will cover the full amount @RJPar. What a relief  :)
  • RJPar
    @L_Volunteer

It will be if I get the opportunity of a place 🙏
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,925 Championing
    Got my fingers crossed for you @RJPar. Please do feel free to let us know how this goes and if you need any further support in the meantime  :)