Hi, my name is BobT! Currently 'exploring' PIP etc. to see what assistance is available. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is BobT! Currently 'exploring' PIP etc. to see what assistance is available.

Options
BobT
BobT Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi :-)
My wife has been diagnosed with Epidural Lipomatosis and is hopefully going to be discharged from hospital in a few days after having spent just over 5 weeks in there.
My daughter (Chloe [removed by moderator - personal information]) suggested I join the community to share my wife's situation and see if anyone has any suggestions.
Currently 'exploring' PIP etc. to see what assistance is available.
We're going to need a stairlift, reclining chair, bath lift etc... all good fun!
Warmest regards
Bob x

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

First you should refer for care needs assessment via gov website or the hospital should you will then have your home assessed by ot who will recommend any aids and adaptions required and depending on your financial situation there maybe funding available 

Secondly for eligibility for pip you must have had the condition for 3 months and it expected to last at least another 9 months 

I'm sorry your wife has been in hospital I bet you can't wait to get her home 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @BobT

I'm so sorry to hear your wife has been unwell but glad to hear she is coming home, there's nothing like it is there? I hope you've got the kettle ready! 

Just to let you know I removed your daughters last name as it's personal details and I moved your post into our Aids, Adaptations and Equipment section of the forum, in the hopes more people can help :) 

I agree with Janer that a care needs assessment would be beneficial, I would also ask at the hospital if they are able to make any recommendations too. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Breacon
    Breacon Community member Posts: 101 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Bob 
    I'm pleased, your wife is on the mend & due home.
    Generally speaking, an Ot would complete a home visit prior to discharge, to ensure her needs continue to be met, after discharge.
    It tends to be an easier discharge, if everything that's needed, is put in place. 
    The hospital team including physio, generally, assess & implement any equipment to meet the patients needs.
    It does happen, that discharges go ahead, with out the above input, & then it is classed as a failed discharge.
    So perhaps mention your wife's needs, & can they confirm, that her needs will continue to be met, once discharge occurs.
    Good luck, I hope all goes well.
  • BobT
    BobT Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. We're making good progress in getting the equipment in place that we'll need. My wife has been able to make a couple of home visits for a few hours and we're hoping to have her home permanently, over the next week or so.
    This is such a valuable and supportive provision, providing a platform for ideas, suggestions and assistance... thank you!
    Warmest regards
    Bob :-) x
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are most welcome @BobT thanks for your kind words :) 

And thanks for your update, sounds like things are moving forward and all's well so far. Do update us again when you can!

If you fancy spending time on the forum, please do. The Coffee Lounge is always a good place to chat to other members and have a bit of fun.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.