Hi, my name is Purpleribbon! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Purpleribbon!

Options
Purpleribbon
Purpleribbon Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2023 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi am a disabled mum of 1 who is currently under spectrum assessment.
New to this so if I have posted wrong.. Sorry lol
I home school my daughter and it is becoming tricky as she is struggling and will not do much if any work recently 🤦🏻‍♀️
Tagged:

Comments

• Purpleribbon
    Purpleribbon Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi! My daughter is 10 and have been referred to Ryegate by our gp. Iv the forms to fill in, it does mentally get you!
    I home school her so I have zero support from the usual people.. In mainstream school a teacher would put you in touch with all kinds of help and support. I have found when you home school. That's it. Your on your own. Such a shame. Any suggestions are massively welcomed x
  • System
    System Posts: 111 Scope online community team
    Options
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, we are Sparkle Sheffield - ask us questions about Autism.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Purpleribbon

I hope you don't mind, I saw your comment on an older thread so I've popped it here and moved your discussion to our Autism and Neurodiversity section of the forum to see if anyone else can help :) 

You can always put your postcode into the Home Education section on the GOV Website to see what additional support is out there. The National Autistic Society will also have a lot of information and advice surrounding your daughter's education in relation to her diagnosis.  

I also wonder, as you said she is 10 years old. It's really a fantastic age where children start to come into their own. The Autistic Girls Network have this huge list of resources including books for her age range and some resources for teachers. It may be something to interest her and it's sometimes really great for children to see other children like themselves represented. 

Also wanted to double check that you are ok? You have a good support system or friends / family around? <3 We are here if you ever need to vent or chat. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hey @Purpleribbon. Welcome to Scope’s forum. It is great to see you have joined us. A fellow autistic here! Thanks for already finding the courage to reach out to us. I appreciate the courage this can take, especially when you are new and finding things difficult.

You haven’t ‘posted wrong’ at all! And, in fact, there never really is such a thing – we can always move it and edit it if necessary but it's not needed on this occasion. You’ll become more confident with time, hopefully.

You have mentioned your daughter currently being under spectrum assessment. How are you feeling about all of this at the moment? Also, in terms of homeschooling becoming tricky as your daughter is struggling and will not do much, if any, work recently, would you feel comfortable sharing a little with us about what ‘struggling’ looks like?

Hopefully, we can support you with navigating this. We are all here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.