Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Discretionary Support Payment

Options
0ptimistic
0ptimistic Community member Posts: 43 Listener
Today I spoke to a SCOPE disability energy advisor who advised me to phone my local council and enquire about a "Discretionary support payment".
The council did not seem to know what I was talking about, and it was not on their website. There is a "discretionary housing payment" for rental tenants, but the disability energy advisor knows I am a homeowner as we talked through my finances.
The council seemed confused, and so am I, and any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,230 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you living in N. Ireland? I can find information about this but only for NI. https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/claim-discretionary-support
    If you live in England there’s the Household support fund, which is administered by your local Authority https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/household-support-fund-guidance-for-local-councils
    If you need help with energy bills you can contact your energy supplier who may have some extra funding. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 0ptimistic
    Options
    Are you living in N. Ireland? I can find information about this but only for NI. https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/claim-discretionary-support
    If you live in England there’s the Household support fund, which is administered by your local Authority https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/household-support-fund-guidance-for-local-councils
    If you need help with energy bills you can contact your energy supplier who may have some extra funding. 
    I am in England. When I googled, I could only find info for Bridgend in Wales, and it's odd that my council was confused as well. I'd like the money if I am eligible, but getting the information. I wish I had asked the SCOPE advisor more, who told me about it. I will try asking my AI app.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,230 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What exactly is the support payment needed for?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I suspect you are referring to the Household Support Fund. Each local authority will apply this slightly differently.
    https://www.gov.uk/cost-living-help-local-council
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It will be the Household Support Fund, administered by your local council, you can usually apply through local advice services or some voluntary organisations although it depends where you live. Some councils pay automatic payments to bank accounts or through PO cash payments to people who get council tax discounts, but most though not all have already been distributed. Your local council website will usually tell you how to apply.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • 0ptimistic
    Options
    JBS2022 said:
    It will be the Household Support Fund, administered by your local council, you can usually apply through local advice services or some voluntary organisations although it depends where you live. Some councils pay automatic payments to bank accounts or through PO cash payments to people who get council tax discounts, but most though not all have already been distributed. Your local council website will usually tell you how to apply.
    Thank you very much.
  • 0ptimistic
    Options
    What exactly is the support payment needed for?
    While I am upto date with my bills, I am a homeowner on benefits, so I just thought there was no harm in exploring eligibility.
    I checked my council's website and it says that people they deem eligible will be contacted automatically and there is no need for me to do anything. 
    It was under household support fund, rather than discretionary payment support as I was told.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.