If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, my name is cjclarke! Homeschooling son but finding it hard not meeting other children

Options
cjclarke
cjclarke Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hello we have been home schooling since sept and my son is finding it hard not meeting other children. he is 12 has autism global devoplment delay we live in maidenhead and would love some help just some days he doesnt want to do any work and some days he loves doing work, he loves histroy  

Comments

• JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cjclarke I'm not very knowledgeable about autism but there are wonderful people here who may answer any questions. Welcome
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @cjclarke

Welcome to the community! :)

I'm so sorry to hear your son is finding it hard not meeting other children. He loves history! Are there any historic groups in your area that he could join in with? Any child friendly activities that a historic landmark offers? It may be a great way for him to interact with other children and be comfortable as it's something he loves.

Just to let you know, I popped your post into our Children, Parent and Families section in case others can help :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    Options
    Have you looked into support services for autistic children in your area?

My son benefitted hugely from a support service started up on a small scale by a Mum but it grew and grew to the point where they now employ professionals and offer support to parents, numerous groups for the children - evening drama group, music group, arts and crafts, breaks away, too numerous to mention.

It was specifically for children up to 18yrs with a diagnosis of ASD.

It gave my son a full teenage social life with people just like him.

There are lots of similar places across the UK - check to see if there's anything near you.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,981 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hello @cjclarke. A warm welcome from me too.

It sounds really difficult that your son is finding it hard not meeting other children. As @Hannah_Scope indicated, using interests is a really key point in identifying suitable social opportunities! In your son’s case, this sounds like anything history related. Eventbrite is quite a good source for identifying events happening in your local area.

Similarly, I hear some days your son doesn’t want to do any work and other days he loves doing work. Is there a common pattern between these types of days? This could be used to increase the number of days your son loves to work, or at least incorporate more of the things he enjoys and is motivated by.

Also, thanks @anisty for sharing your son’s experience. Sharing similar experiences is always invaluable and one of the main things that make Scope’s community the wonderful space it is.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you and your son  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.