If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Did you see our balloon?

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger

You’ll hopefully remember me posting about our social energy tariff campaign

As a reminder, Scope and Age UK wrote an open letter to the Government asking for a 50% discount on energy rates for disabled people, older people, and carers on lower incomes.  

We had 58,234 signatures overall- thank you for showing your support! 

Yesterday, with Age UK and some of our disabled storytellers, we delivered our open letter to the Government

To help us make our point, we took a shed to Parliament with a giant light bulb shaped balloon breaking through the roof to represent disabled people’s skyrocketing energy bills.

a balloon shaped like a light bulb attached to a blue shed outside Parliament The balloon has energy bills are through the roof written on it Scope and Age UK storytellers are stood in front of the shed

This isn’t the end of our campaign.   

We’ll be keeping a keen eye on the Spring Budget. We hope that the Chancellor will commit to delivering support for disabled people on many of the issues we’ve been campaigning on.   

We'll continue to stand with you, and push the Government to put an end to energy bills going through the roof.    

I look forward to keeping you all updated :smile:

Over to you...

What do you think about the campaign? 

Do you have any questions about the campaign?  

How are you feeling about the upcoming Spring Budget? 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm very nervous about the upcoming Spring Budget. I feel saying the last mini budget was a disaster is an understatement! I do hope there is more support for people. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,484 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What a fantastic balloon design, I didn't see it tho what is the next step after the signatures 
  • CountryMimi
    CountryMimi Scope Member Posts: 153 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you to whoever has organised this 💖

I think this is such an important campaign xxx
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes i've been following the campaign i thought the balloon etc was a brilliant idea, draws peoples attention. Well done all x
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,642 Pioneering
    Options
    I just wish that the government would stop using the term "PRICE CAP" - It is NOT a cap - it is purely an average amount that the government estimate that people living under certain conditions will be charged for power..... You could easily be charged double this amount for power.
  • confuddled
    confuddled Scope Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    I wish that instead of just talking about how much harder it is for disabled people that they would do some action. Not just £150. I doubt that even covers our beds, chairs, toilets etc
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,675 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    what is the next step after the signatures 
    Not much unfortunately.  They'd need 100,000 signatures to get it debated in parliament.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    what is the next step after the signatures 
    Not much unfortunately.  They'd need 100,000 signatures to get it debated in parliament.
    I wonder if it's different for Scope because they have meetings and I imagine more influence with Gov than normal petitions from individuals but I don't know. In fact I don't even know if it's the same as a petition being an open letter with signatories but I actually have no idea!! 

As for the Spring budget I'm nervous and all the discussions about WCA on here because of the rumours shows I'm not the only one feeling very nervous about it!!! :( 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Thank you for the positive feedback, all! I'm glad you liked the visual metaphor of the balloon and the shed :) 

@Sandy_123 @OverlyAnxious @Biblioklept as for what's next, the Government aren't obligated to respond to our open letter. However, we're hoping for a response and an offer to meet with someone from the department.

The open letter has had quite a bit of buzz, and we've had a warm reception from many in power throughout the campaign, including Ofgem and Grant Shapps.

I hope there's more support offered to disabled people in the Spring Budget, too. I know some of the news around the upcoming white paper has been quite anxiety inducing. I'll be interested to see what the details are!

• Margare93222061
    Margare93222061 Community member Posts: 426 Pioneering
    Options
    The government live in their own little bubble they do not like to give money to people. The only reason everyone had £400 was so that there would be no riot in the streets.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I think many people share that view @Margare93222061! What would you like to see included in the Budget? 

• Margare93222061
    Options
    I would still like to see help with the  energy bills but I do not think that is likely to happen.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    One can hope, but I think it'd come later on @Margare93222061, How are you finding things at the moment? 

• Margare93222061
    Options
    I  am not doing to bad at the moment 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.