advice needed for social housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

advice needed for social housing

garfield99 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I would like some advice on the best way to attain points for priority housing in Stockport for a vulnerable person suffering from mental health problems including, social anxiety, general anxiety disorder and depression. He is currently living very unhappy in Wales and desperately wants to relocate back to Stockport to be near his family. He's been living in private rental housing for the last 5 years in Wales to be near his brother but is extremely unhappy and mentally unwell. We have been searching for private rental housing in Stockport for years now but it is extremely difficult to find a landlord that accepts DSS, recently it has been nearly impossible to find a private rental due to the housing crisis so that is why we're are trying social housing. He has suffered bad mental health for 5 years now and desperately needs to be relocated. As one if his issues is severe social anxiety hes been to the drs very little to complain as he finds it anxiety provoking. He has tried anti depressants in the past but it hasn't been successful.

Were ready to fill out the social housing application form but would like some advice on how to score a high amount of points so he could be prioritised as he is a desperate case. One possibility is the need to go home and become a carer for his grandma which he is keen to do. His grandma is on pip and has mobility issues and requires a carer. If he decides against this idea he would like to move back to Stockport regardless but would be threatened with homelessness. Another possibility is for him to move home and stay in his parents conservatory but this could only be a short term solution so again there is a threat of homelessness.

Were just trying to establish the best way to score a high amount of points so he is made a priority.

We would really appreciate any feedback and advice on resolving this problem. Thank you in advance 🙂


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,770 Disability Gamechanger
    There's some information here that i found for housing in Stockport. Please see from 7.5 onwards.

    Based on the information above i don't think they will be rehoused based on them caring for an elderly relative. They will need to give information and evidence on their health conditions. However, if they are a single person to be housed with social housing, even with a disability, it won't be easy.

    It is possible to live with their Grandma as they are planning on caring for her?

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Even people with high priority could be waiting years( if they get anything at all) to get social housing. My husband has Severe mental health issues and has been waiting 15  years and counting, even with referrals from GPs and Social Services it hasn't gotten him rehoused. Hopefully your area is better but it might take some time. 
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 830 Pioneering
    Can he live with grandmother?
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    I would just like to add a warm welcome @garfield99. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.