Hi, my name is Slimison! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Slimison!

Options
Slimison
Slimison Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2023 in Education
With regard to dyslexia (whatever that is) what if it is a teaching rather than a learning disability? Check out JoRSEN 09/22 Dimetrellou et al "Online OVIP. There is an answer that has been shown n 4 previous peer reviewed papers to be highly effective. Schools do not want t, why, it is 1 to 1. It is available FOC from University of Exeter Sch. of Ed. Wekend sessions available.
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Slimison and welcome to the online community. Are you looking to find out more about dyslexia in general?

I'm not exactly what you mean here:
    It is available FOC from University of Exeter Sch. of Ed. Wekend sessions available
    Would you mind explaining, just so that we can understand fully? :)  
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Slimison

Welcome to Scope online, plenty of info on site.

I think you might be 'putting the cart before the horse' there. A lot of people have 'dyslexia', but they and their teachers don't know they have 'dyslexia' until it's been diagnosed. So it can't be teaching, once it's been diagnosed, those people are taught in a different way.   

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

A very good perspective @Slimison – I often say that learning difficulties/disabilities are influenced by the way people teach.

One quote I like for this is “maybe if they can’t learn the way we teach, we should teach the way they learn”.

Having said that, people with dyslexia still deserve to feel validated. Their difficulties would still be there without this ‘reasonable adjustment’ like any other difficulty/disability.

What would you say is the most highly effective way of teaching, based on the research you are referencing? :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.