Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Disability and leaving work advice

Options
Wilsonwinehouse
Wilsonwinehouse Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
Hi guys, 

Wonder if anyone could give me some advice please

I have Diabetic retinopathy in both eyes, i have had 2 surgeries in my left eye which did not work and that eye is now void as such, the right eye has had 4 laser surgeries and has got considerably worse over the past 3 years.

In November i was registered as sight Impaired, i then decided to claim for PIP in January to which i have an assessment next Monday over the phone. 

I have just been back to the hospital last week and my field of vision has got worse and they have now decided i am past the threshold and are now making me severely sight impaired. 

I work full time in tech support and do calls all day as well as virtual assistant calls, my issue is i am now at the point where i can hardly see to read anything, the VA calls especially as a script pops up when a call comes in and i have just 10 seconds to read and answer the call, virtually impossible for me now.

I have worked at this job for almost 11 years now, anyone give some advice on the next steps if i genuinely cannot do it anymore? The best way forward, i have spoken to m employer and they have told me there isnt much that they can actually do, it is what it is. 

Just need to figure out what my options are.

Sorry for the long read

Thanks 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community I am also registered severely vision impaired 

You could try access to work they may have some tech suggestions to help you or your employer could refer uou to oh for workplace assessment 

There will also be a local council sensory team you can contact 

If worst comes to it and you can no longer work you will be looking at medical dismissal or dismissal on capability or retirement.  Ask your hr dept to discuss your future options or find the policy for the above 

Acas is a good website for work related issues 
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Wilsonwinehouse my mother in law has the same condition, and unfortunately has had to medically retire from her job she also claims PIP and CB ESA. The council usually has a department that can help with sight and hearing issues. All the best.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • Wilsonwinehouse
    Wilsonwinehouse Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Options
    Thanks guys, I have applied to acces to work, I'm just waiting to hear back from them. I am also waiting for a home assessment from the RNIB, just a long waiting list st the moment.

I will carry on as I am and see how it goes as time goes on.. 

Thanks again.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Wilsonwinehouse

I'm so sorry to hear your sight is getting worse. I hope access to work and the home assessment get back to you as soon as possible! The Scope website has a page on Advice for Disabled People at work, in case that could end up being useful for you. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.