Disabled Wheelchair User - Why is stuff dumped outside my home!? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled Wheelchair User - Why is stuff dumped outside my home!?

Options
confusednewt
confusednewt Community member Posts: 27 Connected

I recently got housed after escaping domestic abuse by the council, and was high priority due to also being disabled and being in a wheelchair.

I love my home, it’s a really nice quiet area and I do generally feel safe here.

However, am I being unreasonable? (See photos)

There is a bunch of building supplies that’s been dumped/fly tipped outside my bedroom window (and subsequently on the drop curb for me to leave my patio doors) including Jerry cans, a ladder, bricks, oil pots and some horrible looking bench that’s been made of pallets that is going mouldy. I saw a man isn’t a resident kind of lurking there, when I asked him if it all belonged to him he said no it belongs to my upstairs neighbours who are builders.

additionally, there is this shed that has been erected on the tiny bit of patio outside my home which actually blocks me from opening one of my windows fully. I saw a man drive in several times and use this shed, he said he doesn’t live here but “stores stuff” ?! This is a private close and I don’t know why this is outside my patio doors if it doesn’t belong to a resident. 

the upstairs neighbours are two quite intimidating looking and sounding 6”+ guys. I’ve tried to introduce myself as their new neighbour but they didn’t seem interested. I’ve heard them shouting on the phone before too and they rarely open the door (I knocked once when I moved as they’d locked the communal gas cupboard)

what do I do?

I am disabled and autistic with ptsd of domestic violence so quite vulnerable to ask alone, so quite scared to approach them and ask them to move this stuff, but also this is causing me to go into the road on a blind corner to leave from my patio doors (having recently just been run over by a car I’m terrified for this to happen again) and 2, this shed that is here nobody that doesn’t live here should be storing anything there, and if they don’t have planning permission for it which I highly doubt shouldn’t it be gone?

Do I email my housing association about it instead I don’t want to “tell” on anyone but the thought of strangers on my property let alone sitting outside my bedroom window and ladders outside my house gives me the idk!! please help!

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @confusednewt

Firstly I want to say I am so happy you are out of your previous situation. I hope you are getting any support you need after that, and if not, please reach out to us if you feel you need it.

From just looking at the pictures, I would say it's a health and safety hazard, not being able to open your windows, having jerry cans (could they be a fire hazard?) and the ladder doesn't look secure, what if that broke your window? I would contact them asking, is there planning permission for the shed to be there. Citizen's Advice has a page about Complaining about your neighbour, which you may find useful to read.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • confusednewt
    confusednewt Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Options
    Hello @confusednewt

Firstly I want to say I am so happy you are out of your previous situation. I hope you are getting any support you need after that, and if not, please reach out to us if you feel you need it.

From just looking at the pictures, I would say it's a health and safety hazard, not being able to open your windows, having jerry cans (could they be a fire hazard?) and the ladder doesn't look secure, what if that broke your window? I would contact them asking, is there planning permission for the shed to be there. Citizen's Advice has a page about Complaining about your neighbour, which you may find useful to read.
    Hi Hannah,
    Thankyou SO much I really appreciate that! I never even thought about the ladder breaking that is so true. I feel awful to complain about them but you’re right it is my safety in my home. I will deffo have a look at the citizens advice too and see if they can give any advice on whether I report it to housing association or council. I hope my neighbour doesn’t get nasty after, their quite intimidating which is why I don’t feel able to speak to them but I have tried a couple of times I was just dismissed/ignored. I will update on progress and hopefully others may share of similar situations and pathways they took! Thankyou so much!
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

If you think you know who they belong to could you pit a note through their door explaining your concerns and give them chance to clear it all 

If not report it to the housing association 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.