Bowel Cancer screening kits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bowel Cancer screening kits

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,605 Pioneering
edited March 2023 in Coffee lounge
I am 59 and have never been sent a bowel cancer screening kit to test my poo at home
I believe that, currently all 56 - 75 year olds should be regularly sceened by this method (eventually 50 + year olds)
How do I order a kit - from where ?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

Does it not say on the NHS website how to get a kit or query with your gp surgery 
  • Wibbles
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Hi 

Does it not say on the NHS website how to get a kit or query with your gp surgery 

So it HAS to be done - through my GP ?
    There is a phone number - but that is no good for me
    I didn't know whether I could go direct and get one sent to me ?
  • janer1967
    Options
    Sorry I was just suggesting where you could find out the answers

I don't know how you get them just pointed you to where you might find the answer 

I will have a look later see if I can find anything out 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Wibbles i've never had to apply for our tests, they usually just come out in the post, unless thats changed and i don't know about it x
  • Wibbles
    edited March 2023
    Options
    janer1967 said:

I don't know how you get them just pointed you to where you might find the answer 

I have emailed England.screeninghelpdesk@nhs.net to ask whether the age has been dropped to 56 from 60 - according to what I understand - at 60 - you receive a test kit through the post - biannually - but the NHS was dropping the minimum age to 50 in stages - they were "supposed" to have dropped to 56 - but not according to some NHS websites.
    My dad had several polyps removed last year and I have suffered from diahorrea/constipation for over 10years - putting two and two together - makes me concerned

• janer1967
    Options
    The NHS website sata everyone aged 60 to 74 are sent them currently and this is expanding to 50 to 60 over next 4 years 

So you are not quite due one yet . You will get one as long as you are registered with a gp 
  • Wibbles
    edited March 2023
    Options
    NHS make such a big thing of bowel cancer screening - adverts on TV etc - but they don't tell you how to actually get a kit or mention the change in age (evidently - the minimum age IS now 56) - but covid, staffing levels etc has affected NHS ability to catch up
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,633 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can't stand that advert dancing around with the loo roll!

As above, you don't have to apply for them, they get sent out based on age, but that age does differ across the country.  People in Scotland get them earlier than people in England from what I've seen online.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

@Wibbles
    Good morning, I’m in Scotland I started getting them through the post when I turned 50.
    I think we should all be getting them from the same age.

• Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi everyone

I can confirm the process (in England) not long after your 60th birthday, you will get a letter explaining that a test kit will be sent to your address. The kit arrives, you complete the test, then post it back and get the results within two weeks (my husband's results were within a week!)

Hope that helps.. 😊

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    I am 59 and have never been sent a bowel cancer screening kit to test my poo at home
    I believe that, currently all 56 - 75 year olds should be regularly sceened by this method (eventually 50 + year olds)
    How do I order a kit - from where ?

Hi,
    Shortly after turning 60 (a week or so) a test kit was posted through my front door.

• Wibbles
    edited March 2023
    Options
    @janer1967
    janer1967 said:
    The NHS website sata everyone aged 60 to 74 are sent them currently and this is expanding to 50 to 60 over next 4 years 

So you are not quite due one yet . You will get one as long as you are registered with a gp 

According to the NHS website

"Everyone aged 60 to 74 years who is registered with a GP and lives in England is automatically sent an NHS bowel cancer screening kit every 2 years.

The programme is expanding so that everyone aged 50 to 59 years will be eligible for screening. This is happening gradually over 4 years and started in April 2021 with 56 year olds.

The programme has also started to include 58 year olds, so you may get a test before you're 60."

The year is now 2023 - so 56 year olds have been entitled for almost 2 years !

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    janer1967 said:

I have emailed England.screeninghelpdesk@nhs.net to ask whether the age has been dropped to 56 from 60 - according to what I understand - at 60 - you receive a test kit through the post - biannually - but the NHS was dropping the minimum age to 50 in stages - they were "supposed" to have dropped to 56 - but not according to some NHS websites.
    My dad had several polyps removed last year and I have suffered from diahorrea/constipation for over 10years - putting two and two together - makes me concerned

Hi Wibbles yes i do understand your concerns, as you mentioned your Dad's problem with polyps and your own problems, i take it you have had it all checked at the Doctors ?? just asking x
  • Wibbles
    edited March 2023
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    Wibbles said:
    janer1967 said:

Hi Wibbles yes i do understand your concerns, as you mentioned your Dad's problem with polyps and your own problems, i take it you have had it all checked at the Doctors ?? just asking x
    I had an colonoscopy last year but they only check the lower bowels.
    My dads polyps were further up !!
    He had another colonoscopy today and they found more polyps - which they removed

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.