Planning Permission Exceptional Circumstances mental health — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Planning Permission Exceptional Circumstances mental health

Options
skhd12
skhd12 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello, has anyone has success with planning via exceptional circumstances?

We are trying to extend our home to allow me to have an en-suite bathroom upstairs to be away from the rest of my family in peace and ground floor a work from home space where I hopefully start working again. 

I suffer extreme depression, anxiety and other unseen disabilities.  The planning department keep telling me because I am not "physically disabled" they do not see this as exceptional circumstances.   

I feel discriminated against and devastated that they are not looking at supporting someone get better and be able to work and live in their home.  I've been made to feel like a liar and that I should just make do in the space we have.  I just want to be in a home that will offer enough space for me to retreat and recover to be well from my family.

Thank you in advance for any advice. xx

Tagged:

Comments

• skhd12
    skhd12 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Just to add I have submitted Doctor letters and my therapist wrote up a report  - whom I have been seeing for over 4 years.  I have suffered with mental illness for over 20 years.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @skhd12 and a warm welcome to our online community, how are you keeping?

I'm sorry your thread didn't initially garner any response, have you had any movement with this? Also, for my clarity and understanding, is the 'exceptional circumstances' you refer to, to do with applying for a disabled facilities grant or something otherwise?

We always recommend our members get in touch with Shelter by one of their various contact methods as they are experts in all things housing, so please do give them some thought if you haven't run it by them as of yet.

I hope you have a lovely Easter and look forward to speaking with you again.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    Planning regs only refer to physical difficulties.
    Otherwise councils would be inundated with applications based purely on the applicant feeling sad.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.