Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

The Good Law Project

Options
judie
judie Community member Posts: 35 Pioneering
Is it possible the Good Law Project would consider getting involved to ensure we get a fair and dignified benefit system for disabled people this time? They do amazing work and have some clout. Be great to have them involved from the very beginning of this new regime which is already causing great distress due to past experience 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @judie and welcome, I wasn't familiar with the Good Law Project, but I've had a quick search and can see they're a non-profit organisation.

This is from their 'about us' section for anyone interested:
    Good Law Project is a not for profit campaign organisation that uses the law for a better world. We know that the law, in the right hands, can be a fair and decent force for good. It is a practical tool for positive change and can make amazing things happen. We are proud to be primarily funded by members of the public, which keeps us fiercely independent.

When you say 'new regime' can I ask exactly what you mean, just so that I understand fully? I'm sorry to hear it's causing great distress, is there anything we can help with at all?

Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • judie
    judie Community member Posts: 35 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Alex, I  was referring to all the changes announced in the White Paper on Wednesday. New rules, new regulations, new sanctions, new ways to torture us I expect!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,928 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The changes are not expected to start until at least 2026/27 and quite possibly as late as 2029 for a lot of people. It's not something to worry about at the moment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This sounds like a lot to process @judie and, hopefully, not to torture us even more! Can we ask how you anticipate this to impact you directly?

Hopefully, we can listen to you and support you through this. Not least as I notice you have mentioned it is causing you great distress due to past experience  :(
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.