How would you deal with this type of situation? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How would you deal with this type of situation?

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,757 Disability Gamechanger

A family member who enjoys announcing the achievements / attributes of other relatives. X has just finished university and is starting a great job; Y has just bought an Aston Martin; look at this picture of Z o the beach don’t they look beautiful - when a massive achievement for you is being able to cook a meal, leave the house alone or go for a short walk.

It makes me feel inadequate when the biggest achievement I can raise them is that I went through a manned checkout at Tesco instead of using the self service. I know it is not healthy to compare myself to others, and usually I don’t do so, but this sort of situation almost forces you to do so.

Not speaking to the family member is not an option, as 1) they are close family and 2) they are otherwise a nice person to be around.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just because they are close family doesn't mean you can't discuss this with them or couod somebody else discuss it with them on your behalf 

If they are close then I'm sure they would want to know how it makes you feel 

I have something similar all my mum talks about is my brother and his kids and what they achieve 

But when I talk to my brother he says mum only talks about me so you might find they do announce your achievements 

I just take it on the chin I can't sed my mum much my brother lives close and does a lot more for her . Its my disability that stops me so I just have to accept it 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @janer1967

Hmm that is a good point that maybe they talk to others about our achievements.

It doesn't make me feel bad when they go on, as I know I work just as hard to fulfil my small achievements, but it just makes me wonder if they think I should be doing better. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the reply
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,610 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh I find that difficult too as my sisters going off to uni and is going on holiday this year but unfortunately for me to go on holiday to Disney Land Paris costs  nearly all my PIP that I have saved as I can't work yet and still in education. 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Yes @durhamjaide2001 I know what you mean, I do support my relatives and I want them to do well and have a nice life. It's a bit of a balancing act in my mind I guess.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks @Teddybear12 that is very kind of you to say. I hope you are taking care as well and taking it steady while recovering after all you have been through recently.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,230 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66Mustang it's easy to feel that way when you see other people achieving things. But don't forget the things you have achieved also, cooking, driving on the motorway, these are also big things in your achievements. People achieve things in different ways, the latest car and the fancy beach holiday are all and good but the things you achieve are life changing achievements.  Which will go a long way
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks @Sandy_123 that is a good point.

Hope you are doing OK today.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.