Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, I'm johnstle! Experiences of parastomal hernia?

Options
johnstle
johnstle Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello everyone. I have had a stoma for nearly 4 years and have developed a large parastomal hernia. I had unsuccessful surgery in September to correct the problem and over the last month or so I have got 2 ulcers one of which is discharging puss. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how was it treated 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,582 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’m afraid we are not medical professionals so can’t give any medical advice. If you have any concerns then you need to speak to your GP. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • johnstle
    johnstle Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Ok thanks I thought it was a forum for discussions I stand corrected. Best of luck to you all, I will see if I can find another forum somewhere else 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,582 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Indeed it is but we can’t give medical advice and doing so is against the forum rules. https://www.scope.org.uk/community-house-rules/?_ga=2.29935478.836862738.1679144700-2049403996.1610998196
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Hi @johnstle and welcome to our online community, how are you today?

You're right, we can talk and share experiences of conditions but as you understand we wouldn't inadvertently want to give people incorrect advice around treatment.

I have Crohn's disease so can empathise with having abdomen/bowel pain, but haven't had surgery or experienced a hernia before. What have your hospital team/stoma nurse said about it? And, how are you managing the puss? 

I've changed the title of your thread to see if I can attract the eyes of others who may have gone through the same, to share their story. And also, moved your thread to our 'Physical and neurological impairments' category.

We wish you all the best for getting it treated effectively and quickly. Take care and have a lovely Sunday.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @johnstle

I hope you are well? I also have a stoma and I am so sorry to hear your surgery for your hernia was unsuccessful. 

I would speak to your Stoma nurse and surgeon about how and why the surgery was unsuccessful and see if they can recommend another course. For example, could the stoma be moved to ensure a better repair on the hernia? Can I ask, has your stoma nurse gone through hernia support garments with you? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.