If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Warm home discount refused

Options
kimkenzie202
kimkenzie202 Community member Posts: 112 Courageous
I'm mad that I didn get my WHD this year after getting it every other year? Have the rules changed or something. I'm so annoyed

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Yes the rules have changed this year . You have to be on certain benefits and also the property you live in the age and size of the property is taken into account to work out the energy efficiency 

Lots of people are no longer eligible due yo this 
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    janer1967 said:

Yes the rules have changed this year . You have to be on certain benefits and also the property you live in the age and size of the property is taken into account to work out the energy efficiency 

The only thing that didn't change was the fact that wealthy millionaire pensioners with all of their wealth tied up in private discretionary trusts received the full lot. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,124 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    janer1967 said:

The only thing that didn't change was the fact that wealthy millionaire pensioners with all of their wealth tied up in private discretionary trusts received the full lot. 

No, not if they weren't claiming Guaranteed credit element of Pension Credit they wouldn't have. If they live in England/Wales. https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme/guarantee-pension-credit

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kimkenzie202
    Options
    Ok so they changed the rules, thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,124 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ok so they changed the rules, thanks

Yes for England and Wales.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kimkenzie202
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Yes I'm in england. Thanks for respond
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    janer1967 said:

The only thing that didn't change was the fact that wealthy millionaire pensioners
      with all of their wealth tied up in private discretionary trusts received the full lot. 

No, not if they weren't claiming Guaranteed credit element of Pension Credit they wouldn't have. If they live in England/Wales. https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme/guarantee-pension-credit

Guaranteed Pension Credit will only be affected if the claimant (or his wife) have control over the capital. If that capital is contained within a personal discretionary trust then it will be ignored whatever the amount is and how it is made up.
    So yes  with assets/capital of say over £5m within such a trust even if one of them is a trustee as well as a potential beneficiary of that trust, they both together would still be able to claim GPC as those assets/capital are exempt.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.