If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Colettewilcox!

Options
Colettewilcox
Colettewilcox Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2023 in Start here and say hello!
I have a son with learning disabilities who is living at home.  I have retired and getting old.

Comments

• JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Colettewilcox and welcome to this community.
    In my opinion this is one of the hardest realities facing parents; the aging process that effects both parent and children along with 'how will my children cope' when I'm no longer here'.  This is true for parents of disabled & non-disabled children.  

I know my mother is no longer able to assist in all my needs - she tries, and equally I try to make sure I don't need her to do those things.

There are practical elements in your post -  For these you may need to consider contacting Social Services : Adult Care Services if you are struggling to assist your son NOW; you may receive help NOW.

I have no idea the level of disability that your son has, but it might be worth considering writing a Lasting Power of Attorney.  I'm listing two links
    LP12 Make and register your lasting power of attorney: a guide (web version) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    How to be an attorney - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

There are emotional elements to your post also - I am sure there will be local groups to discuss & share experiences. If you would like me to find out more please reply and add @JustPete in your post so I get to see it.

I hope this helps a little, but please do not hesitate to post again.

Sending you best wishes
    Pete 
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,110 Scope online community team
    Options
    A warm welcome to the community @Colettewilcox. How are you and your son getting on? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.